Skimmer for 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29g FOWLR tank with a bunch of inverts and so far 1 horned Blenny.

A skimmer is next on my list of must haves but I'm really confused as to which to get without breaking the bank.
The Berlin is inexpensive but does it work? I've seen some on Ebay too that are relatively inexpensive. There are so many out there I have no idea what to get. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer the HOB type.

Thanks much.

same question: im looking at a protein skimmer for my 100gal fowlr/reef

then i found the JEBO for $35, is this any good?
the coralife SS for $114
the remora C for $165
or the berlin for $205

whats the difference???

For a FOWLR, a skimmer is not 100% needed. I don't use one, and haven't had any problems, yet.

phish what do you mean by fowlr/reef?

Roka, I had heard that but I'm thinking that it would be an added protection.

Phish, I saw that JEBO on Ebay also and am interested to know how good it is.

I hope someone here has tried it or knows something about it. :)

Roka: me too on the added protection

i was going fish only, now i have 85# of live rock, and sand instead of CC, i ditched the air pump for powerheads (which the fish love now), i just orderd a 542 watt MH/pc light so i can keep corals/anemoe/maybe a clam so its evolving into a reef wich since i dont have 2# of LR per gallon i should definetly get a skimmer. plus skimmers remove PO4 which i have a little too much of...

anyway....anyone use the JEBO off of ebay....is it junk?
is the remora worth the extra $50?

That's what I was afraid of...you get what you pay for. Guess I'll have to break down and spend some serious money on my skimmer. :D

i have the aqua c remora and def recommend it....first, all you have to do is put the pump on (dont get the rio), second, all you have to do is plug it in. its quiet and efficient. its def worth the 165..... imo, i would get a good one, then when you decide that you want corals, you have what it takes (besides lighting, lol) and you dont have to worry about paying more $ for a better skimmer. its better to spend the $ now then to spend it and have to upgrade and spend more...hth

I have been using a Seaclone 100 for the fist 8 months of my 37g tank's life. it has done a good enough job to allow me to keep 2 LPS corals and a soft coral. However, it does require constant maintenance, cleaning and adjustments. So, I went ahead and ordered a Remora and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll post updates and the Seaclone vs the Remora, but I am realyl looking forward to the new skimmer.

HTH

John

i have never had any clogs..... nor have i ever had a problem with it, its just a great skimmer, hehe.

I like the Coralife Super Skimmer. Abit less expensive than the Remora and great performance. The only problem i had with it is i had to mess around with the bubble diffuser box for a few hours to get it right XD

I have had my Remora up and running since Monday night. I checked it this morning and it has fust started to create foam, so the break in period is hopefully coming to an end. I will check it out tonight and report back.

So far, I am happy with the Remora. Much nice looking than the Seaclone. We'll see about the skim quality soon, but I am not worried.

John

The jebo works just fine. I bought the Jebo180 off ebay as you say for $50 and it does a great job. Keep in mind this is NOT a venturi skimmer. The "venturi" or whatever the hell it is is located in the powerhead they send with you. It says it will handle 180gallons but I highly doubt it. For a small tank this is a pretty darn good skimmer. I wouldn't put it on anything larger than a 55gallon. I use it on my 10g and 30g with great results. For my bigger tanks I use a Berlin. If it's your first tank and it's 30g or smaller it will be great.

I have the Coralife Super Skimmer, and it does a great job!

The only drawbacks to the CSS are that it takes up more space inside the tank than most other skimmers, and it does take some time to get set up properly, the bubble diffuser box caused me quite a headache for a while. Now that it is broken in, though, it does a beautiful job!

Also, even thought I am only FOWLR, I still recommend a skimmer. Mine takes out quite a bit of junk and I still have to scrub algae every few weeks...I don't know what it would be like without it!

Paul

Back
Top Bottom