Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-29-2004, 02:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
skimmer for my 40gal FOWLR???

what skimmer should i go for with my 40 g FOWLR?? i prefer hang-ons since i dont have sump..i currently have hagen 402 and 301 powerheads for circulation and about 12 lbs live rock..im also currently running a hagen 300 pwerfilter since i havent decided on a skimmer yet. is this bad?? any help wiill be truly appreciated .

HotSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I use a Skilter 250 for my 46 gal. No body here likes the Skilter but it has worked for me, it's noisy but it works.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
My recommendation would be an Aqua C Remora with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump. A surface skimmer would be a good addition as well. The power filter is fine until you can add some more LR. You'll need about 60lbs for a tank that size....80 would be better.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I am also one of the few that like the Skilter as well (with the air pump modification to quiet it down). I have one on my 75gal loaded with bio balls. I also use a CPR bak pak which works really well and would be more than enough(rated for 60gal). Big price difference between the two. The 250 skilter will run about $30 on line plus $10 for the modification unless you already have a good air pump and wood diffuser. The CPR unit runs $150. Both also provide good bio filtration.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

40 gallon, fowlr, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com