Skimmer Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tankanator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In a FOWLR tank would I need a protein skimmer? I have a 180 GAL with 250 lbs of LR 200 LBS of sand. This is the list of the fish that I have

Emperor Angelfish
Golden Butterfly
Blue Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Niger Trigger
Porcupine Puffer
Salfin Tang

I don't know about a huge bio load but it is a good idea to have a skimmer. They do make a difference in keeping a tank clean and clear.

It is pretty huge in my opinion. Porcupine puffers are extremely messy, as are triggers. Angelfish need to be fed multiple times a day and not all of it gets picked up which creates a lot of uneaten waste. There are multiple large fish which creates a large bioload.

I guess I don't consider it to be such a large bio load because they are in a 180 gallon tank. I agree that skimming is a must on this tank as well as some kind of clean up crew but you will be limited to snails becuase the trigger adn puffer will probably eat any inverts you put in the tank.

A skimmer would be a great idea for your tank . It would reduce DOC`s which will end up as nitrates and excessive nutrients. I guess I`m just not a big fan of feeding a couple times a day. That`s an algea explosion waiting to happen.

Thanks I have a skimmer but I'm tiring to figure where to set it where it will work. I don't have the room to fit the skimmer into the sump, the skimmer can be used inside or outside but I can only place the skimmer on the return side of the sump where it won't be as effective. Right now I'm talking to the manufacture and they have given me some ideals so we will see if they work.

Ziggy953 said:
I guess I don't consider it to be such a large bio load because they are in a 180 gallon tank.

Hmmm what do you mean by this? It's a 180 but that's quite a few large fish for a 180. I've got a 210 with a pretty huge bioload and it may even be a smaller bioload than what the original poster listed.

It's all a matter of opinion though... no magical formula. I think we can both agree that a skimmer is definitely needed though. :)

melosu58 said:
I guess I`m just not a big fan of feeding a couple times a day. That`s an algea explosion waiting to happen.

Depending on the amount you feed. IMO I think it reduces the chance of an algae explosion. If you feed 10 pieces of krill in a tank at one time, there will be a higher chance of pieces/chunks going missing and decomposing rather than feeding 2 sessions of 5 pieces. As long as you feed the same amount in a day, the more times you feed the more chances your fish have to find all the food rather than most of it.

Well the sump takes a lot of space and I placed the inlet close to the one end of the stand, so the space I have is at the outlet side and that's the only side I can plumb to ge the water back in the sump. What I might do is to place the supply pump in the inlet side and then feed the skimmer that way, I'll just have to see what happens

There is always a way. what kind of skimmer is it? Can you take a pic of the area you are working with? Is this under your tank or do you have an area near the tank that has all of your equipment? I may have someideas to help you out depending on the type of skimmer you have and the space you are working with.

You are right the best place for the skimmer is the first area of your sump not the end.

Back
Top Bottom