Skimmer help...RedSea Berlin XL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, well, I got 2 sheets of paper with this skimmer. One told me to use 500gph pump, the other said 550gph. So, my pump is 550 gph, and I did a test run of the skimmer and there are NO bubbles whatsoever coming through it. I have it on a MagDrive5 (500gph). Should I upgrade this to a Mag7 (700gph)? It seems as though there's not enough power to pull the sir through the venturi. If I hook the pump directly to the skimmer w/ as little tubing as possible, the occasional spurt of large bubbles (as I have the tube open fully) will come up the middle tube. I'm assuming the pump is not strong enough, but I simply wanted to check.

Oh, and will I need to routinely add trace elements. I've read the skimmer pulls them out of the water. It's a 120Gal FOWLR. Thanks for any and all input!

You should be getting bubbles even with the 500gph pump. I don't think that's enough for an XL though...usually use a Mag 7 on the standard Berlin. Have you checked the venturi to be sure it's not blocked? Berlins are usually excellent skimmers. I'd try for at least a Mag 9.5...maybe even a Mag 12. JMHO.

i have a berlin skimmer not the xl but there is a little white screw towards the top just under the collection cup that i have to loosen or tighten for controlling the bubbles

Yeah, the white screw is so loose it practically falls out. As far as the venturi valve, I loosened it to where it barely sits in the screw fitting, and I get occasional bubbles. Maybe I got a bum pump, but it just doesn't seem like an adequate amount of water flow to me. Anyways, I can gently blow into the venturi tube and bubbles will come up the skimmer, so I think I'm JUST on the threshold of required pumping power. However, I'm thinking a 9.5 and a 1200 are way too strong for the skimmer. While I have been warned going too low will not work, I was also warned that too high can be just as bad. Anymore input on this before I order my Mag7? :) Thanks all!

we are running ours with a rio know they have a bad rep but it is a new design with a titanium shaft so far not one problem with it and it has been on the tank for over a month...hth

The venturi on the skimmer is housed inside where the inlet hose threads into. You should have recieved a plastic key that looks like a horse shoe shape that is used to remove the venturi. I wasn't sure from what you were talking about if you actually loosened the venturi or the screw on top the hose attaches to. You may want to take a look and see that the venturi/inlet area isn't clogged. I'm not sure if you bought this new or used but the venturi is really bad about getting clogged on that skimmer. I eventually upgraded mine with the turbo pump where you just remove the venturi. Now only the pump needs to be cleaned every so often. Good luck with the skimmer.

dansemacabre said:
However, I'm thinking a 9.5 and a 1200 are way too strong for the skimmer. While I have been warned going too low will not work, I was also warned that too high can be just as bad. Anymore input on this before I order my Mag7? :) Thanks all!

Check with reefrunner before you order this pump. He has used a Mag 9.5 on a standard Berlin skimmer (shorter than the XL) and had excellent results. I agree that too much pump isn't good, but you won't be overdoing it with the 9.5. I think you could run a 12. There is a lot of flow reduction going through the venturi. If you still have doubts, get the larger pump and put a valve between it and the skimmer...that way you can fine tune the flow.

Thanks logan. I did notice the drastic flow reduction due to the extremely tiny venturi opening. I wanted to make sure the skimmer itself was not broken, so last night I tinkered with the mag5. I opened the venturi as far as possible, cleared out the venturi tubing as best I could, and re-attached everything. A steady stream of large and fine bubbles then began pouring through the inner tube. I don't feel the flow is enough to skim nicely, so I will look at a mag9 or a mag12. I'll ask reefrunner what he thinks I could go with. Thanks you all, very much, for all of your help and advice. =]

Back
Top Bottom