skimmer, is this worth it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I HIGHLY reccommend the Aqua C Remora Pro.
Quiet, easy, and not too big. What size tank are you looking at? That has to be considered as well when narrowing down your choices.

I had a seaclone on my 37 for a while. IMO, it is not worth the price. If you can swing it, the AquaC Remora is a better buy. Of coarse, it is twice as much.

I have also heard very good things about the BAKPAC skimmer. Check them out as well.

HTH

John

My LFS sells the very same skimmer for $75, but I personally don't recommend it. If I could make a suggestion, I would strongly recommend the CPR BakPak 2R. Granted the Bak Pak does take a couple weeks to become cycled but once it is cycled it definately worth it. It is also a little more pricey, but still worth it IMO.

There are certainly better skimmers on the market then the Seaclone, however, it is not that bad of a skimmer. I used one on my first reef a few years ago and had great results. Just keep in mind...they can be a bit fussy. They do have a longer then nomal "break-in" period and do require more attention and adjustmet, especially after water changes. That said, if you pay attention to it and empty the collection cup every couple of days it should work just fine. mine did.

alaher2 said:
My LFS sells the very same skimmer for $75, but I personally don't recommend it. If I could make a suggestion, I would strongly recommend the CPR BakPak 2R. Granted the Bak Pak does take a couple weeks to become cycled but once it is cycled it definately worth it. It is also a little more pricey, but still worth it IMO.

I looked for the bak pak, and the found this one on Ebay, no name, but same exact design,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300050429353&fromMakeTrack=true

samething but diff price because of brandname ?? Or should i stick with name brand stuff and forget these copies ?

Thanks
Leo

For your purpose, a FOWLR tank, I think the SeaClone would be just fine. Like lando said, it is finicky and does require a break in time and adjustments, but I think it would serve your purpose. I have it right now, and am a little dissapointed with it's peformance (its now leaking because IMHO the plumbing on that thing sucks). But again, up to you. Stick with the name brands and if you can swing something better than the SeaClone, then I would. If you can't, the SeaClone will be fine.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom