Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think everyone skims 24/7. I haven't heard of anyone turning their skimmers off for anything but power changes or adding something that they don't want getting skimmed out.

The reason why is that protein skimmers take out organic waste and you want waste taken out whenever possible.

I think everyone skims 24/7. I haven't heard of anyone turning their skimmers off for anything but power changes or adding something that they don't want getting skimmed out.

The reason why is that protein skimmers take out organic waste and you want waste taken out whenever possible.

I figured that was the case, but wanted to be sure... I'm new to the saltwater world and still learning.

You want to skim 24/7, the skimmer will take a week or two to break in and you sometimes a few hours to kick back into it if you turn the power off. The more you skim, the healthier your tank and less algae growth in the long run you will have.

Back
Top Bottom