skimmer recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peter101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im looking at a 90 gal FOWLR tank. initially i was looking at the seaclone 100 but am having second thoughts.
what would you suggest for this type of set up? (in-sump skimmer)
any experiances with skimmers fit for this tank size are appriactied

thanx
peter

For the 90 gal tank a seaclone will basicly be useless. I would suggest while its alot more expensive a RedSea Berlin Turbo.

The seaclone is really good only for systems of 50gal or less.

An Aqua Medic Turbo flotor 1000 multi also works well.It can be used as a hang on or in sump which is nice.

Take it from a newbie like myself...Do not get the seaclone..I had one and then I got a res sea berlin turbo classsic and it was like night and day.The red sea was pulling out cupfuls of junk...The seaclone just doesnt work that great for larger tanks, although some people are using them with larger tanks and say they work good with some mods but this isnt a cut corners hobby....

But I do have to say that since my friggen red sea pump impellor died I am back to seaclone til red $#@% Sea sends me a new one..

At least its a backup! :lol:

Definataly Euroreef. I missed the in sump part the first time around. I read to fast some times?

The Euroreef ES5-3 is rate dfor a 90 gallon tank and is very affordable compared to the regular euroreefs!the Euroreef is cheaper from the start as it already comes with a quiet energy efficient pump! The Aqua-C's don't!

Although I tend to avoid products with the name 'Euro' in it, the Euroreef gets my kudos because it uses a needle wheel to get around the venturi/bubble problem. In this respects it's light-years ahead of the Seaclone and other simple powerhead based skimmers that I wouldn't pay a dime for.

A friend of mine has a Euroreef, or some other similiar needle wheele type skimmer and praises it highly. He rated it's performance on par with a Remora while in-sump and claimed both worked about the same efficiency. The otherwise 'tanks size' rating of these devices is pretty much a marketing thing since either the Remora or EuroReef would handle a 90gal or much larger provided they are in sump or in line. Tank capacity when used as a hang on back (HOB) skimmer is otherwise a function of which one can push the most water in that less efficient mode. When used on a 90gal and *not* in a sump I'd lean towards the EuroReef becasue of it's greater waterflow even though I'm a dedicated Remora user.

Back
Top Bottom