skimmer w/ refugium???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have fish, some inverts, and minimal live rock. I am building a refugium, and would like to know if I should run a skimmer with it.

Why? or Why not?

I would and do.

Here is the deal with the skimmers. They will take out any extra waste that is in your tank. That will keep you from getting all kinds of bad algae and other problems that are the result of extra nutrients. If you accidentally overfeed (or your family comes into town and all the kids "wanna feed the fishies") you wont have to worry so much about the nitrates that will develop from that problem.

My skimmer sits so that it actually pulls water from the refugium and skims it, then dumps it back in the refuge area. I have found this to be really good for my tank. :D I hope this helps!!!

Sure.
Fuges and skimmers serve two different purposes. Fuges help remove nitrates and phosphates, assuming your fuge has macro algae and good lighting. it can also be a place for delicate inverts and pods to thrive.
skimmers remove DOC's from the water, improving water quality. by removing DOC's they'll also lower nitrate and phosphate levels.

Back
Top Bottom