Skimmerless Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alarmguy66

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 180 is now reaching a year old. It was started using the contents of my former 55 gal tank, now commonly refered to as "the sump" . The 55 had a remora skimmer as its primary source of filtration. I made a tall diy skimmer and used it for awhile on the 180, but discontinued all skimming about 3 months ago. Ive seen no adverse effects. My water leaving the tank goes through a diy mechanical filter contisting of floss and GAC. The sump has macroalgae growing in it, a ton of pods and shrimp, and is lit 24-7. I havent tested any levels in awhile, but all the life in the tank is happy.

I dont really see the need to change anything right now, but could there be long term consequences of not skimming? Between the sump and the tank I probably have in excess of 250 lbs of live rock ans a couple hundred lbs of sand.

If you keep up with water changes all should be good. The skimmer is just used to remove organics. The water change will do the same.

The system you have described is very similiar to the Ecosystem developed by Leng Sy. The macro removes a lot of the organics that the skimmer would normally catch. He recommends a skimmer only with lots of SPS corals...otherwise, these systems run skimmerless just fine. IMO, your tank will be fine as long as you keep up regular maintenance. Adding a skimmer would probably reduce the organics that are present in the tank, but might actually have a detrimental affect on the the macro. What kind of corals do you currently have? Check out this site: www.ecosystemaquarium.com

Mushrooms, xenia, gsp (also pink) frogspawn, hammer, button polyps, leathers and 3 hard corals. All seem to be doing just fine. I do 20 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. Kalk drip for 5 days every other week. Maintenance on my tank is less than 5 minutes a days, and a couple hours one day every other weekend. Return water is filtered on the side of the sump that the macro and rock are not on, the side being used as a refugium is unfiltered.

Looks like im on the right track, just trying to avert problems before they happen, not clean up a mess. Good article by the way.

How does the skimmer have an effect on bacteria and trace elements? I didn't think it had any effect.

Back
Top Bottom