Skunk(cleaner) Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roberz00

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I finally got 2 cleaner shrimps to go in the SW tank with the 2 BL hermies and the Fancy damsel. My concern is this now, I noticed tonight that one shrimp has all of his antenna things ( cant think of the correct term) shortened by something. I dont know if the hermies got them or the damsel. All i know is that 2 days ago they weree nice n long and tonight they are stubby looking. Any ideas??? Anyone????

LOL, but true! Also, don't forget to stick your hand near where they are and hold it there for a minute or two. They will start cleaning you! Great parlor trick when family/friends are over. Don't let them do it without cleaning their hand and arm first to make sure nothing bad gets in the tank. Non-aquarists love that little trick.

LOL, but true! Also, don't forget to stick your hand near where they are and hold it there for a minute or two. They will start cleaning you! Great parlor trick when family/friends are over. Don't let them do it without cleaning their hand and arm first to make sure nothing bad gets in the tank. Non-aquarists love that little trick.

Yea. my lfs rep does that with one of their front line show tanks and my kids thought it was the neatest thing. So of course now that we have these 2 they all want to try to get them up on their hands. I had them both onboard last night, really weird feeling. lol

Wait....so shrimps molt like a snake does??? Sheds the outer shell and rebuilds eh?? cool.

My damsels used to bite my shrimp's antennas off all the time.

Yes that is correct they will molt and any parts missing will magically reappear. LOL

I agree, anything in your tank with an exoskeleton (shrimp, crabs) will molt. Don't get too worried when you see a molt and can't find your shrimp. They will hide until their shells harden.

cool, Thanks for that bit of info. I actually had no clue that shrimps will molt. Now If I could just stop finding red legged hermit bodies. (i put none in my tank)heh.

Back
Top Bottom