Slight Nitrate spike again, is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandc805

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is a FOWLR and it has been running for about 6 months now. After my cycle and numbers were at 0 everything was good till about 3 months ago I had a slight spike that went up to 15 or so and I found out I was overfeeding them causing this. After weekly water changes and twice a day feeding instead of once I brought my nitrate down to 0. It was good for about a month or 2 and now it has slowly started going back up and is at 10 now. Nothing has changed other than I had 2 new fish but 1 died and removed it within a few hours of it dying cause my HC's were starting to eat it. Are these nitrate spikes normal?

Something has to cause it. Fifteen is not a bad number for a FOWLR tank. Sure 0 is the goal but if it was me I would feed every other day. Been doing that in my tank for 14 yrs now with no problem.

Thanks for the advice I'll try different things here or look for something unusual.

I dont think I do, its a corner tank and I have 2 750 Koralias at the top sort of facing each other just a bit angled away from each other and I see movement all around the tank, I can maybe try different angles, didn't think about that,
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom