Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Small air bubbles?

So i've heard that small air bubbles can be a very bad thing for saltwater fish and my protien skimmer seems to be injecting them into the tank. Should I be concerned about this?

xkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd be more worried about any sponges on your live rock than the fish, but yeah, we want to reduce those. If nothing else, it will make the tank look better to get rid of them.

Is this a hang-on skimmer? If so, about all you can do is put a sponge on the skimmer output, so the bubbles stand a chance of getting trapped and rising upwards right away.

If this is an in-sump skimmer, you could build some bubble baffels into your sump, this usually does a very good job of getting rid of bubbles. Bubble baffels are just dividers that force the water to flow up and down to go around the baffels.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Yes, it's a hang on back skimmer that will eventually be moved into a sump. I don't ahve any sponges i believe atm, unless that's what the brown stuff is on my LR. My mentioned that his sump did the same thing until it was pretty well broken in.
xkenneth is offline   Reply With Quote

air, bubble, bubbles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com