Smallest species of moray eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like triggerfish!! And scorpions!

You'll definitely have to do your homework. People here are very helpful, but 200 gallon aquariums are not that common and 200 gallon tanks centered around eels is very uncommon. Will be a very cool project and hope you find the answers you're looking for!

Nowhere near setting up the tank yet! Haha just wanted all my information now so there are less stuff ups

The person that I'm buying the tank from said that he didn't run a filter he only ran two protein skimmers :/ is this possible?

Mechanical filtration isn't necessary in some tanks, but with you planning on some large predators(read messy eaters) I would have some mechanical filtration and one good skimmer, skimmers rated for 200+ gal are not cheap. You could do a canister filter or a sump, with a sump id say get at least a 55g sump, preferably a 75g.

He is giving me the skimmers with the tank. It's a full setup
I asked him for the brand but he hasn't replied yet

For a saltwater tank with no predators or other messy eaters, the combination of live rock, protein skimmer, and water changes is more than sufficient. I myself has no mechanical filtration whatsoever on my reef. I do however run a refugium full of macro algae that filter out nitrates and phosphates.
As Saratj1 said, predators make a mess. You will need additional filtration for a tank with any animal that eats infrequent large meals.
To help explain, consider this.
In my tank, no animal ever consumes more than say... 1/4 teaspoon of food at any given time. But they feed every day, and some graze all day long. This leads to a fairly consistent level of fish waste in the water. The biological filtration is therefore used to this level of work.
In a tank of mostly predators, there will be days with little to no waste produced, during which the biological filter has very little to feed it. Then the fish eat a large meal and expel an equally large amount of waste pretty much all in one go. So now there is 50x the waste present than the filter is used to. But in a day or two, there is no more added. This is why mechanical filtration is necessary for predator tanks, but generally not needed for peaceful reef tanks.
This is fairly generalized, but I hope that helps.

So ill need to know what I'm going to stock the tank with before I decide on what filtration I need? I want to have lots of live rock so my eel has lots of places to hide XP

Absolutely! Your filtration needs will be determined by the stocking list. Lots of live rock is good, but the amount of bacteria in those rocks will depend on the available food for them.

So will I need to cycle my tank if I have a lot of live rock? Or is that only if I have a filter?
Sorry I'm such a noob in the saltwater area! Haha

There will always be a cycle. And I rarely use the word always. Sometimes the cycle is so quick you barely notice, but those are few and far between.
If you don't detect a cycle, add an ammonia source and test again in 12 hours. Or just do that anyway. Unless there's a lot of die off, the cycle may not adequately prepare for fish.

Would it just be better to have a filter in there anyways? Or is there really no point?

In that case. Hawaiian Dragon Moray Eel. Get 'em while you can cause they're cutting off Hawaiian collection next year.

OH MY LORD!! I am in LOVE! With that eel!! Where do I get it from!?

Will I have enough time to get him after my tank is ready?

Will I need to cycle the tank if I ONLY get the Hawaiian dragon moray eel?

I would cycle the tank with damsels and once it's ready, put the dragon in. The dragon will take care of the "damsel problem" :brows:. They're not cheap, but they are worth the money and long lived. Aquacon has a Japanese Dragon. Same thing

Eels, saltwater fish aquarium - Aquatic Connection

The Hawaiian Dragons go for about $500-600. 20-30 year life span. Pretty friendly believe it or not. My brother had one that I could pet.

Did the eel need a filter?

If It doesn't need a filter then what other fish can I get that don't need one? Haha
Money is precious to me believe it or not :O Maccas doesn't pay very much haha but ill do everything I can to get that eel!

The only things I want in my tank are either batfish or Picasso triggerfish and the eel and shrimp lol

Back
Top Bottom