Snail stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. I would like to add some snails to my 20 gallon FOWLR. I would like 2 species. What two species do you recommend and how many of each? I want them to clean my glass and my sand bed and live rock. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Astrea and Nassarius snails seem to be the most common. Both can flip themselves back over which is a huge advantage. Astrea will clean the rock and glass, Nassa snails bury themselves in the sand.

Oh sorry I'm used to calling it a sand bed, but it is actually crushed coral. Sorry.

Well you cant use them then. They would get cut up with the sharp edges of CC.

The nassa snails for sure no. But you should look to get rid of the CC soon anyway. It will trap waste and bad things and eventually become a nitrate factory, causing you a huge headache. I would replace it with aragonite. Don't do it all at once though. in 1/4 or 1/3 is what i see recommended most often.

I would suggest checking out reefcleaners.org (one of our sponsors). John Maloney can help you decide on a clean up crew (CUC).

I agree with getting rid of the crushed coral (1/3 at a time, a week between each third).

Really? Wow. Thanks for the heads up. Hmm...so is aragonite expensive? What is it exactly?

I'm already on it. Thanks for letting me know beforehand. I would hate to have had my tank stocked and stuff and then have to take the CC out.

Back
Top Bottom