Snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do snails, especially nassarius snails, NEED a sandbed to survive? I don't have, or plan to add, a sandbed to my tank(I like the look of no sand in a tank.) Thanks for any info.

No nessarius snails do not NEED a sand bed to live, mine seem to spend more time.topside.or window side lol they only eat detritus, so as long as you have some ls that deficate, or decomposing food, they should be fine. They usually stay burrowed in a sb bc thats where a ton of detritus build up.lies... Hope this helps, good luck!

I always thought they were sand sifters and u needed a bed. Oh well, trochus snails are awesome though. They don't do anything but clean all day and I know for a fact u don't need a sand bed for them

Thanks for the info guys and gals. I'm thinking about getting 10 or so for my new(ish) 55g.

One thing about snails u got to make sure they don't roll on their back and flip them over when they do.

So I got 10 nass snails and 10 cerith snails to add to 6 - 7 blue leg hermits and 3 emerald crabs. Put them in yesterday and they seem to be doing well. Can the cerith snails live above the water line? I have 1 or 2 above it.

They'll be fine they are still touching the waterline right. They know what they are doing.

Nassarius aren't algae eaters. People get them mainly to keep the sand clean and eat food that gets left on the bottom. If you want an algae free tank your best bet is trochus, margarites, nerites, etc.

Back
Top Bottom