Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Snails and crushed coral.....?

Hi All!
I used crushed coral as the substrate in my tank.
The more I read about snails and clams, the more I like their reputation as tank cleaners. Would it be beneficial for me (and them) to put snails/mussels/clams etc. in my tank, although they obviously won't be able to burrow?
Thanks again!
TRIVIA **The zebra mussels that now plague our great lakes and their tributaries are estimated to purify 1qt of water/day!

swaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Clams don't clean tanks. They may filter water to get food, but not enuf for you to notice and more cleanliness in the tank.

Only certain variety of snails (nassarius, conchs, nerites) burrow anyway. Clams and mussels don't.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I would be more worried about the higher nitrates that will result from having it. CC traps waste and debris causing higher nitrates that are more harmful to inverts. As Ray said alot of them you mentioned are not burrowing creatures.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had set up an aquarium for my grandfather and used crushed coral and found out that it may hurt snails easier and other inverts that normaly burrow or stay on top of it. Plus it got a huge algae out brake too. I have been told by many poeple that deal with this kind of stuff all the time and they all say to use sand because its better for inverts and for algae control.
Ocean3kid is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, crushed, crushed coral, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com