snails/hermit crabs being eaten

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerj

Aquarium Advice Activist
so far ive found one snail and one hermit crab totally ripped to peices! I think its my emerald crab cause hes the only thing besides a goby and a damsel in the tank. any ideas about the crab?

Any new rock added recently??? I'm thinking mantis. Maybe not thought since one would think a mantis would've been able to catch the goby by now too. If the crab is the culprit, he is likely only eating someting that died from something else.

On the hermit crab, didja see the shell? is it empty? If not, it may be that it has molted which looks like a dead crab out of the shell. Hermit crabs can also attack snails in search of a new home.

It all may be just normal things that go on in the ocean..... although some just don't trust ANY crab.

no, no new rock! i went to buy some yesterday but the place was closed. and yeah, ive been asking my friends and they say that snails sometimes randomly die. im searching the tank for empty shells, but there are so many nooks and crannys, its nuts. Ive noticed the crab being more active though. instead of not seeing him at all, ive seen him 3 times today.

oh yeah, i need to buy some slightly larger shells for the hermit crabs.

What kind of snails are they? Bumble bees will eat other snails.

ahhhh theyre my clean up crew, with those weird conical shells?

*EDIT*
i just found another dead hermit crab, empty shell as well. arg! this one appeared to just have....died. does this happen to a lot of hermit crabs?

Back
Top Bottom