snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hottievols

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible for a snowflake eel to live in a tank without eating other mats? I have been told yes they can cause they are the most docile of the eels, but i figured I would ask the true experts.

You need to understand that you can ask and ask all around in the forums this question, but do know this. the SFE isn't the most docile of the moray species, and can be aggressive from some marine experts. Still your a living creature with one understanding for its own survival. That while in its juvenile stages, it will hang in groups of other young eels. But once its grows, it has its very own survival in thought.

You need to see this from the way the eels normal nature and ability which comes into play here. Eels has only two main foes, one be the grouper family and the other be themselves. Many eels will eat other eels, so you could continue to ask around, but from some who only background in this is they feed their eel every two days, they may never learn of their eels true ways of survival be. but eels in the same tank, will battle over the food they get, even if their a known mated pair, it is in their nature.

Buddy

On mine that I had for a few years. Mine did not mess with fish I had in the tank but I cant speak for others. An eel is an eel and he will do what eels are supposed to do. I just kept mine well fed. Whether that was why he didnt mess with the other fish I dont know.

Even if its kept well fed, there can still be some casualties, because eels have poor eyesight. Often mistake other fish.. for food, during feeding times, or even out of the blue if it is hungry. As melosu said.. eels are eels lol. Carnivorous.

BTW here was my snowflake

img_1031417_0_02645ddd82f705be17c64ed5cebad8be.jpg

He looks awesome! But uhm.. is that a hunting knife your feeding him with? LOL.

No just a regular kitchen knife. That poor eye sight you was talking about kept me from hand feeding him. LOL

Back
Top Bottom