snowflake eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexou812

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im brand new to saltwater but have had freshwater tanks for 10+ years and counting. i am wondering how difficult it would be to start a brand spankin new tank (probably 55) for a snowflake moray eel and a few others that are big enough to not become its lunch? and if anyone has had problems getting this type of eel to eat?

It wasn't a problem at all for me. Jut give it a couple good caves to choose from and a few days to get accustomed to it's new home. I fed mine shrimp by hand, it's really fun just watch your fingers. Sadly our escaped the tank while I was at work. :/ but they are awesome creatures to have. If you can you might want to get a little bigger tank though

what size tank would you suggest? i was also looking at housing clown fish with it as well or would they become lunch too?

A 75 gallon should be enough for it to live in forever and as far as the clown fish go it's on a case to case basis. Some eels are fish eaters but mine never ate anyone. So you never know if it will or not.

ok thanks will do. i have heard they are a big no no but are banded sharks something reasonable i could consider? or no?

I'm not sure. Being a shark I would think they need a big tank. I haven't heard of any sharks in anything smaller than 150 gallons. But I also don't have any experience with sharks at all.

I wouldn't put a clown fish in with it. I have had mine for about a year and at first he was with clowns but he ate both in one night and I kept him pretty well fed......so it's a big risk

For bamboo sharks you need at least 600 gallon + tank. Their full length is between 4-5 feet and they need lots of swimming room. Also, for sharks and eels you must maintain the iodine levels or else they can develop goiters in their thyroid gland. If you want a fish friendly eel you will have to get a zebra eel. You would than need a minimal of at least 150-200 tank. They get very thick and their max size is 3.5-4ft. Eels don't move around much so they don't need as much space as a shark.

so basically, anything that won't fit in the eels mouth is a possible tank-mate?

Back
Top Bottom