Snowflake Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishys

Aquarium Advice Activist
It snowflake eel has a crooked jaw. We purchased her like this and we were told it is normal. Now we are starting to wonder if that is true. She ate for the first time in front of us tonight. Before we would put food down there and she would eat it but we couldn't see her. When she is eating she has a very hard time and looks like she is chocking. What is going on?
I am trying to get a pic/video but when I get close she hides.

Thank you.

I've seen a few eels at my lfs that have crooked jaws. This is not normal and a defect I believe. Someone else will chime in with more experience in that area.

It's cool that you did by this eel. Nothing worse than a throwback animal in a land of the misfits. Hope you figure it out, but I am sure the eel will grow up just fine.

I am far from being an expert on this species, but rather am a first-time eel owner myself. I have two "freshwater" snowflake eels (I've had them now for about 1 - 1.5 years; they are about 17.5" & 14" long) and neither have a crooked jaw.

I think it is safe to say that a crooked jaw is NOT "normal".

He seems to be ok. At least now. My problem now is he is trying to nip at my fuzzy dwarfs fins. If it continues we may need to figure out another arrangement.

lovefishys said:
He seems to be ok. At least now. My problem now is he is trying to nip at my fuzzy dwarfs fins. If it continues we may need to figure out another arrangement.

Mine only nips when he is super Hungary. I feed my a few silver sides every day or two and he never nips my antenata lion

We have been giving him a mixture of jumbo krill, raw cocktail shrimp and live ghost shrimp. We feed him every 24-48 hours. I watched him more closely. I don't think he is doing it on purpose. He may be blind or close to it. We target feed with some planting tongs. He always ends up grabbing the tongs first and moving down to the food. Every time he eats it happens. I will try to post a video. Or at least to YouTube and post the link.

lovefishys said:
We have been giving him a mixture of jumbo krill, raw cocktail shrimp and live ghost shrimp. We feed him every 24-48 hours. I watched him more closely. I don't think he is doing it on purpose. He may be blind or close to it. We target feed with some planting tongs. He always ends up grabbing the tongs first and moving down to the food. Every time he eats it happens. I will try to post a video. Or at least to YouTube and post the link.

Ha, mine does this, they do have extremely poor eye sight!

I think she is fine. Maybe an issue with the eye sight a little, but her sense of smell is on point. A good thing about this is you get to see your eel more. Mine grabs the food then darts in the rocks!

I had a snowflake for years he (Sid) had a crooked jaw to. I feed him silverside by hand and he never messed with any fish. Feeding him live food could trigger his natural instincts I'm pretty sure these are breed in captivity and feed dead food.feeding him by hand will get him out more and they will even swim through your hand! Sid jump out of my tank one night we found him on the floor! He lost his slime and didn't eat for 6 weeks. All of a sudden he just went insane and ate like ten whole silversides. Hope this helps!

He has only had 2 live ghost shrimp as a treat. I'm pretty sure we have an eel proof tank and he can't get out :)

Attachments

• image-1915346078.jpg
    image-1915346078.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image-3699935502.jpg
    image-3699935502.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2507267493.jpg
    image-2507267493.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom