Snowflake Eel questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olliethemutt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just a few eel questions for a Snowflake eel since I finally got mine last week! We are still working on rocks in the aquarium, with a 110 gallon things are going slowly, but we have about 20 lbs of rocks so far and the eel has claimed a tiki man originally for the damsels as his home.

How active are they normally? (mine is really active and wondered if this was normal)

And is there any way to tell the sex of a snowflake eel? Just curious!

And what is the best for their diet, he has been eating mostly live fish every few days? Any advice is great!

img_974623_0_cad3b4930a9302b1c1039cd799434750.jpg

Anything we can find that is small enough for him to eat, he has only been fed twice since we have gotten him. He did have freshwater minnows once... not going to do it from now on but we are going to urge him to eat frozen food like the rest of the fish, just need to make it look "live"

I never fed mine live fish. Always fed shrimp (from grocery store) and clam pieces. What ever you do make sure you have a secure top as they are escape artist. Here is mine I had for awhile.

100_1859.jpg

When first introduced they stay fairly active for several months until they get accustomed to the tank (mainly not finding a way out) and mellow into some type of cave dwelling. The only way to sex them is internal examination. Normally feeding twice weekly is plenty with a rotation of crab, shrimp, clam, fish, etc. I would ween it off of live foods, but the occasional freshwater crustacean or hermit crab monthly wouldn't be a bad enrichment item :)

alright thanks guys! I bought some frozen brine shrimp today for my squirrelfish and damsel, they tore it up and he wanted nothing to do with it......I will look into getting him some bigger frozen foods and swim them around to make them look live. He hasn't found away out yet :) we moved everything he could climb on either down or out...lol

That's what i figured. I knew he wouldn't eat it so when his feeding time comes I will get him some nice big pieces of shrimp or clam to see what he likes :)

My dad had one, and boy was he an escape artist! He was lucky we managed to find him every time he got out before the cats did. :eek:

My dad actually got him to eat out of his hand eventually. :)

yay lots of ideas!! Great! I'm excited! Unfortunately I can't reach the bottom of my tank (to short) so unless he comes up he won't be eating out of my hand... He has learned that the thing we feed him with means food though :) and he I have cleaned and moved things around so he is used to hands being in the tank!

My dad actually got him to eat out of his hand eventually. :)

I used to hand feed my snowflake eel. He was in a tank with a big grouper and wolf eel so if I wanted him to eat I had to hand feed. The grouper would only eat until full but the wolf eel would eat until there was no food left! The snowflake was just not as aggressive so the hand feeding worked out very well and was just plain fun.

Well, he is in LOVE with shrimp :) the squirrel fish (my hog) tried to steal a piece of shrimp from the eel and the eel chased him around the tank until he gave it back, then wouldn't let the squirrel fish near "his corner" and he watches out for the damsel! So every time he gets fed he comes out to eat his shrimp! We are going to try to find some fresh clam and feed it to him :)

Back
Top Bottom