Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Snowflake mate ?

Im looking to add a second moray eel in my fowlr and i dont really know which one i should choose since i dont want to add a second snowflake. Right now its a small one like maybe 6-7inch and i have a lot of live rock and i have a lemon peel angel an 2 ocellaris a bta and a condy and a blood fire shrimp + cleaning crew. I was thinking of a zebra since they are not really agressive and my snowflake is a baby he love being pet ! Not aggressive at all. All my fish are juvenil the biggest one is the lemon peel being 2inch long. Is a zebra would be ok with those fish in a 75gallons ? Should i go bigger ? I also would like a smaller eel not so aggressive so im looking for any sugestions, any i would be able to go near without being bitten (but i know it will happen one day)

Thk !
Sry for the spelling i speak french

Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiboblacuillere
Im looking to add a second moray eel in my fowlr and i dont really know which one i should choose since i dont want to add a second snowflake. Right now its a small one like maybe 6-7inch and i have a lot of live rock and i have a lemon peel angel an 2 ocellaris a bta and a condy and a blood fire shrimp + cleaning crew. I was thinking of a zebra since they are not really agressive and my snowflake is a baby he love being pet ! Not aggressive at all. All my fish are juvenil the biggest one is the lemon peel being 2inch long. Is a zebra would be ok with those fish in a 75gallons ? Should i go bigger ? I also would like a smaller eel not so aggressive so im looking for any sugestions, any i would be able to go near without being bitten (but i know it will happen one day)

Thk !
Sry for the spelling i speak french
Okay here it is. Your eel wont out grow the tank, but it will outgrow the tank mates. Your current eel will soon be over a foot long and one day both of your clowns will be missing. You wont think much of it until your shrimp are all gone too. The eel will eat anything that fits in its mouth so in my opinion you are already in big trouble. Adding a second eel.... Will make everything 2X worse in my opinion. Definitly not a zebra eel because they get very very big. Before you think about another eel figure out where you are going to put the other fish that will be lunch in a few months.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

sad to hear on almost all site they say its the most "reef-safe" eel you can have other than the zebra and i read on others forums people who had snowflake with other fish like clowns with no problems at all. Ill take the chance to keep them both since i love sooo much my snowflake its by far my favorite but not for my gf lol she will be made if i give away the other fish for a second moray eel. I just taught maybe the zebra
Do you have any idea of nice tankmate i could add instead that will go well along with the snowflake clowns and lemonpeel angel in a 75gallons ?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the eel is certainly limiting. However, I've read it can be hit or miss with snowflake eels. I have heard of full grown ones living with clownfish.
I believe any other eel will fight with your current one.
Your angel should be fine. There are some wrasse you could keep, you could keep a dwarf fuzzy lion (again hit or miss with clowns), a foxface, a kole or bristletooth tang. You do have some options.

However, all of these are larger bodied fish and produce more waste. You must be careful to not overstock.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #5

I had a fuzzy lionfish but it was a miss he ate my royal gramma so no more lionfish but im sure my snowflake is a hit ! At least for me lol but it is not aggressive at all never tried to escape and he never ate live food since i have it only frozen since day 1. I went to my lfs today and there was a niger trigger 2 1/2 inch long so since it was beautiful and able to care for itself against aggressive fish so we taught it was a nice choice and my gf loved it ! Right now im in a smaller aquarium since they are smaller im just waiting for this spring when there will be no more snow to buy a new tank i have already all the filtration system and running it and if the snowflake start to get too bigger i already have the money so ill just go for it this winter. In fact im just waiting for the end of winter since i dont want to move a big tank outside in the snow
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What tank size are you planning? Love the Niger triggers as well. Just remember Lionfish aren't aggressive, they're just predatory. Snowflakes aren't known to be very aggressive either, but again are predatory.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #7

Im planning on a minimum of 75gallons. Would it be ok or i would be better with a bigger aquarium ? Im keeping the aquarium in my bedroom since its beautiful to watch and i love the sound of the water so i dont have the space for a 200 gallons since i want to keep it there
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The niger trigger should not live out its life in a 75. I think 125 would be a fine minimum, although liveaquaria says 180.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #9

So then ill be shoppin for a 125. This size will give me some bigger fish choice than a 75 also.
Thk for the advises everyone ! If you have any idea of fish also juss leave them ad ill check
Old 01-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiboblacuillere View Post
So then ill be shoppin for a 125. This size will give me some bigger fish choice than a 75 also.
Thk for the advises everyone ! If you have any idea of fish also juss leave them ad ill check
Check out liveaquaria.com. If anything catches your eye, ask about it here

Tags
flake, mate, snowflake

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com