Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

And there is no aggression at all in the tank by any fish. They are all pretty mellow.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you do weekly water changes with rodi water you will eventually get out all the tap water. Do you do weekly water changes? It is the best way to remove excess nutrients in the water. Another thing as spoon man said how often do you clean the canister? The can be be waste traps which will mess with your water chemistry causeing stress for the fish. Defiantly would recommend a test kit so you can better pin point were the problem is.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you quarantine the fish before you added them to your tank to make sure they didnt have any disease? I had the same issue that you are having when I first started. It seemed like a daily nightmare and I felt really helpless. Petco has a deal where you pay a dollar per gallon for their tanks. You could get a 20 gallon tank and cheap filter only for QT purposes. Don't put anything in the tank like sand etc. I treat my fish for parasites etc for about 3-5 weeks before I put them in. If your water is testing well at your lfs then it leads me to think its the fish. Stress can cause them to be more susceptible to disease or bacterial infections.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I would test first for ammonia, Ph, nitrite and nitrate, if your quality is fine, then I would slowly add do water changes. Personally I use pre mixed saltwater with a salinity of 1.024 from my LFS, that comes from a company that is specialized in the field. But u could use RO/DI water pre-mixed in a separate bucket to do water changes.

In my experiences buying a test kit for saltwater is worth the 35 dollars u spend. But could be hard to read yourself, accurately. Today even I went to my LFS and got my water tested and found out that my water quality was perfect, i thought my test kit was inaccurate, but its difficult to read sometimes. when in doubt ask someone, and if your not sure, ask someone else. And don't worry about asking to many questions at your LFS that's their job, they may seem annoyed at times but f-um, do what's best for u.

So if your unsure about anything in the future, I cannot stress this enough, post a thread and ask questions. Honestly this fourm has helped me sooooooo much, I still listen to my LFS, but always trust your own opinion, but don't be afraid to ask, because at the end of the day people can be wrong, and everybody's situation and tank is different!

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the advice! How long does my qt tank need to be setup before i can put ish in it? Im assuming it will have to be cycled. Any tips on getting the water ready quickly?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp3322
Thanks for the advice! How long does my qt tank need to be setup before i can put ish in it? Im assuming it will have to be cycled. Any tips on getting the water ready quickly?
If your dt is cycled then put a piece of filter sponge into it for about a week. Take the sponge out and put it into your filter in the qt. Should cycle instantly.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
Fish R friends, not food!

In my freshy tanks I run an extra HOB filter on my cycled tanks and use it on my qt when I need to set it up. Just fill with fresh water, put in a couple pieces of PVC for hiding and move the filter over. No rock or sand...etc. You can do the same in saltwater.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I know I am planning to buy something new, I fill my tank up and run it with one of the filter pads that was in my main tank along with some of the water. You have to have a test kit because you need to test for ammonia regularly and may need to do a few small water changes. I don't hook mine up to any equipment from my main tank simply because I treat for parasites with medication and most of them have copper in them, plus an antibiotic can mess with the bacteria you have in your tank. I assume that all the fish I buy have something. Copper will kill shrimp etc.
I have a little 10 gallon that has never had any meds in it for live rock pieces and shrimp. I know it all sounds hectic but it really will help you in the long run. Don't put any sand or anything in the tanks. You can put them away when you are done with QT. When QT time is done I usually will mix some clean water and let them swim in that a few days before I put into my tank. Maybe I'm overdoing it but I've lost way too many fish before I started to QT. Some may think the medicating part isnt necessary but it seems to work for me. Saltwater fish are too expensive to keep replacing. I'm also one of the people who use hypo salinity soaks on my live rock and a fresh water dip as well. I don't like hitchhikers and had a friend who had these nasty little white worms in his tank from his live rock. I QT the rock for a few days and test the water to make sure anything that died off from shipping etc won't cause my tanks water issues. Some would probably think this is overdoing it as well. It works well for me.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quarantine Tanks are always a good Idea to have, especially if you've lost a lot of expensive fish. The main thing that I do is ask your LFS how long they've had the fish you intend to buy, and always do a visual inspection. In my experience the LFS that I went to had tons of SW fish and I thought that was ok, in a way it was but with that many fish its hard to have quality control. I live in southern California so there are so many LFS to go to, I ended up finding a better store with less quantity and way more quality. And the store I go to now doesn't require me to quarantine my LR or fish, although its not a bad idea if you decide to do so(if your not sure about hitchhikers...etc...) I personally enjoy some of my hitchhikers because its fun to see things coming out that you didn't pay for. Some hitchhikers are bad but most are a good sign to have in your tank!

My main reason to not have a QT is cost and space. And it seems that would be the same issues for you.

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you can find a store by you that sells salt water. " for example I buy salt water from the ocean at 30 cent a gallon"

You can add fish once acclimated to the tank immediately " that's saying your gonna make a qt tank" just throw some stupid decoration in there so the fish can hide what not"

Me personally I don't have a qt tank just my display tank. If I buy a new fish I slowly acclimate him to the water and then put him in my tank and then I treat the entire tank for external parasites and feed prescription food to kill internal parasites.

This works for me.

However sometimes I get a fish and sometimes they die for what I think no reason.

Buy a test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com