Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

Setting up my qt tank tomorrow. How fast can i get the fish in there? Im worried about cycling it. I dont wanna kill the fish movingthem to the qt to be treated. I have 2 clowns( both with ich) , 1 yellow angelfish, 1 sandsifter, and i yellow/purple damsel. The qt is 20 gallons. And what do you recommend treating the qt tank with for ich? I plan on leaving the display tank vacant for 8 weeks to let the parasites die off and ill be qting all future purchase first. Any input here is greatly appreciated. I want to get this up and running asap without harming my fish! Thanks.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use water from my main tank and put in the QT. when you QT you without a doubt need to test the water. Remember that you are putting fish in a much smaller space so it's much easier to pollute your tank. If your fish have parasites now visible to the eye, I would do it ASAP.

There are a number of medications you can use to treat parasites. I'll be honest and tell you I've only treated it preventatively however, I would try to stay away from copper based if you can. If you can't then get what they have because the longer you wait the worse it will get. Also, i heard if you want to speed up the treatment and recovery time, increase the temp and salinity levels. This needs to be done very slowly though. Your fish are already stressed.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One more thing, when you medicate make sure you take out all carbon filters.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

If i put the 2 clowns in there to medicate should i have all my fish in there because they all are susceptible and have been exposed to the ich?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's highly likely they have it now but you can't see it. The following tells about the Ich life cycle which can help you understand why it's important to get them out ASAP and treated.

The lifecycle of the parasite is interesting and important to understand when evaluating a treatment. The stage where the parasite is attached to a fish is called a trophont. The trophont will spend three to seven days (depending on temperature) feeding on the fish. After that, the trophont leaves the fish and becomes what is called a protomont. This protomont travels to the substrate and begins to crawl around for usually two to eight hours, but it could go for as long as eighteen hours after it leaves it's fish host. Once the protomont attaches to a surface, it begins to encyst and is now called a tomont. Division inside the cyst into hundreds of daughter parasites, called tomites, begins shortly thereafter. This noninfectious stage can last anywhere from three to twenty-eight days. During this extended period, the parasite cyst is lying in wait for a host. After this period, the tomites hatch and begin swimming around, looking for a fish host. At this point, they are called theronts, and they must find a host within twenty-four hours or die. They prefer to seek out the skin and gill tissue, then transform into trophonts, and begin the process all over again (Colorni & Burgess, 1997).
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well the qt tank is set up. Im currently acclimatingthe sh to the new water. Most of the water is from the display tank. I hope all my fish dont die. What are your thoughts on hyposalinity for ich treatment instead of chemical warfare?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There are some who believe it works but from my understanding, it's largely ineffective on mature Ich because they are protected by the gills and mucus produced by the fish. Hyposalinity is most effective when the the Ich is released from the cyst during the free-swimming phase and before they find a host. In your situation, I would medicate your fish and use hyposalinity in your tank to eradicate any of the free swimmers that might be present.
There are conflicting opinions out there regarding using it solely. My concern is that you have already had some fish die. You can try it however I'm posting a link that I found (on my cell so sorry if it's not as informative as it should be!) that can help you understand the life cycle and when hyposalinity will kill it.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hyp...posalinity.htm
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Should i just dip the fish that visibly have ich, which is the 2 clowns?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now that my display is baron of fish, what should my maintenance of that tank be? Because there is still live rock, sand, and snails in there. Water changes, filter cleanings and so forth?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com