Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

So complicated

Okay. All i want is a saltwater tank with pretty fish to look at. I bought a 60 gallon hex. Bought a canister filter, uv thingy, heater, sand, live rock, followed my lfs directions to cycle tank. Ive lost 2 lack and white percula clowns, and my orange and white ones dont look terrific. I am lost on this saltwater thing. I know a little and i do well with freshwater, but now i kinda wish i didnt get into this saltwater hobby. I love the fish, but its soooo complicated! I dont know anything about fuges and sumps. I just want happy fish in there! Water levels are good, salinity is good. Why do these fish seem sluggish? I have a yellow angel, sand sifter, and damsel that are eating and happy, but my 2 clowns that i replaced the 2 bl an wh clowns with dont move much and dont eat. I dont get it! I thought the clowns were the easiest? Please give me input. Do i need a fuge or sump? Do i need plants? What do i absolutely have to have for a successful tank? I dont want to continue this if i cant keep the fish alive and happy. I have invested alot of money, but i could take m few remaining fish back and just convert to a freshwater.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Fish R friends, not food!

Some information would be good. What is the salinity at? What are the exact parameters (amm, trIte and trAte)? How long did you cycle? How often are you cleaning the canister? How often do you do water changes? Are you using ro/di water? Answer some of these and we can help you more.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know what the levels are. I don't have test kit yet so I get it tested at my lfs every couple days. I use tap water cuz that's what the lfs uses and their fish are perfect. I also use a tapwater dechlorinator in the water. Salinity is at 1.023. I do 5-10% water changes every Sunday. Also I rinse the filter out every Sunday. It also has biochem stars in the filter. I cycled for a good month. Tank has been up and running for about 2 months. I know that's a short time frame but I'm following the advice of my lfs store on every move.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Fish R friends, not food!

First thing I would recommend is getting a test kit. You need to know exactly what the levels are. You dont really know if you are cycled. The lfs is in the business to sell you stuff. Tap water will eventually lead to problems. If the lfs uses it, they are not a reputable lfs. You need ro/di water to prevent algae outbreaks...etc. Salinity is a little low but not bad. I would recommend posting here before you do anything. There are alot of people here that will give you solid information, they arent trying to sell you anything and have nothing to gain by steering you wrong. It could be the lack of cycle that killed some of your fish. Some will handle the ammonia better than others.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

+1 on the tap water not good to use. How fast did you introduce your livestock. If you added to fast you would have messed up the water parameters which would lead to ammonia then to fishy heaven. Thats why it is a good idea to test your own water and to go really slow with saltwater. Ask questions people here are always willing to help.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aside from what has already been said have you seen any aggression from your damsel? There's a chance he is picking on the clowns
Old 07-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Using tap water is always a bad idea for saltwater, use Reverse Osmosis / Deionized water or get premixed saltwater from your LFS. And trust me this hobby is very difficult at times and costly to "start up" so to speak, but can and is very rewarding in the end.

I have lost a total of 3 clowns and 1 lawnmower blenny so far in my 5 months of being in this hobby( not to mention 6 green chromis) due to what I believe was my former LFS trying to just make a buck. And in these economical times who could blame them. That is why this fourm is so great.

Saltwater tanks can take up to 8 months to fully cycle, not saying yours hasn't yet but it just takes time.

And with your clown issue, did you have them all in at the same time? Because in my research I've read that keeping more than a pair of clowns is not good in a small tank. And finally, I personally have had trouble with damsel's harassing my clowns, and would advise steering clear of damsels, they are awesome to look at but can be very territory based creatures.

P.S. please don't take offense to this, just keep at it and use this forum, its helped me and definitely will help you!

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any powerheads in your tank?

mikestanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do have a powerhead in there. If I remember correctly it's a 550gph.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

No offense taken Mikestanked. I just want the fish to survive and be happy in the environment. So if I start using R/O water will that be okay? Or due I need to get rid of all the water in my tank that is tap water?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com