Soaking Food in Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trameltanz

Aquarium Advice Regular
For some reason I can not grasp my thoughts around soaking the lettuce, flakes, pellets, or whatever we feed our fish in Garlic.

Please explain this process? I am sure that this is simple concept but I am not sure if you are referring to garlic as in grocery store garlic or some sort of magical fish-store garlic.

Thank you!

By garlic, reefers ususally mean garlic extract. It's the juice that u get from garlic if u squeeze it. I personally wouldn't recommend extracting ur own garlic juice. Lots of work, little juice and fish don't like it. They do like the modified garlic juice in Garlic Extreme and Garlic Guard (sp?) though.

Soaking food in garlic - add a little garlic juice to any frozen/prepared food and let the food sit there for an hour or so then it's garlic feeding time :)

I have never used garlic in the nine years I`ve had a tank but I have heard some good testimony about it.

Alright. I will be making my "Fish Store" rounds this weekend.

*keeping an eye out for garlic*

Are we sure that the oils or whatever that is in this garlix extract wont do weird stuff to my water? I cant imagine spending so much time and attention in getting my water immaculate to making go funky with "garlic"! *chuckle*

:- )

i use real garlic from the grocery store. i put a tiny bit in a ziploc bag with a cube of frozen. you can also make your own, using garlic and olive oil, just mix the 2 together, then keep in a dark place for a month or so, then just put on food and let soak in. i have used this for 1-2 years with no ileffects.

Dont get me wrong as I am not condemning the use of garlic. Too many people been having good results. Just never had a reason to use it.

melosu58 said:
Dont get me wrong as I am not condemning the use of garlic. Too many people been having good results. Just never had a reason to use it.

you have unpicky fishies! LOL. i had to use it to get my old clowns to eat, i probably wouldnt have to now, but i guess its just habit...

you have unpicky fishies! LOL. i had to use it to get my old clowns to eat, i probably wouldnt have to now, but i guess its just habit...

Garlic is not just for picky eaters. It also help boost the fish's immune system against illneses :)

Yeah...I got to the fish store(s) and looked through the food stuffs and found the garlic. I picked it up and opened the bottle and stuffed my nose in it *BIG MISTAKE*. WHEW! That sure is garlic there!

8O

You guys weremt kiddin were ya? lol

I noticed my store has just recently gotten that bottle of garlic guard and after reading this post, Im buying some today. Now that i've seen 2 people jam their nose in it, I know im going to do it too :(

Now that i've seen 2 people jam their nose in it, I know im going to do it too

LOL! trust me, you don't actually have to jam your nose in it. It will smell up the whole room! I knida like the smell, myself.....

I LOVE the garlic. I roast the elephant cluster on the grill with a little olive oil. BUT to add that to my tank kinda threw me off.

I thought that the extract would be some special pastuerized, filtered, pure, and non-odor magic liquid. I was SO wrong! It looks like I can make some fairly easily with a little oil, water, garlic, and a food processer. I am willing to go this route because the dropper bottle was for sale for $14.99 at the LFS. FIFTEEN BUCKS for GARLIC?

After I about bowled myself over with smelling it I gently put it back on the shelf and could not help laughing at the price.

My fish didn't like the real real garlic juice that i extracted from real real garlic. They would spit the food out a few time before consuming it. I don't know why. The liquid from the bottles has a different smell.

Anyway, try making your own then let me know how your fish like it :D

I also tried my own lots of work and stink, the ungratful little fish didnt like it... I then started to use power and they loved it, they all go crazy with this stuff. But i am going to buy some garlic gaurd next.

WOW you weren;t kidding... but, I absolutely love garlic and I will admit at one moment, I was considering adding it to my food too. (I checked ingredients, seems to be garlic and vinigar) lol I wont really do it, but man o man, i was tempted.!

Garlic

LOL boy did I laugh when I read how you realized the smell, because it reminded me of my wife's face when she did what you did. I need to laugh thanks :)

I do not use garlic with every feeding since my fish are not too picky, so far. I do use it more often when I have a new fish added to the tank especially in my QT. I have also read that it can help in making the fish more healthy, I believe someone here posted that as well. Good luck and dont spill it on the carpet. :)

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom