Some advice needed on a new setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, really really great site you have here :) A trove of information.

I'm pretty much a :n00b: with aquariums, however i have done a fair bit of research over the last few weeks. I've also had a very small fish tank with 5 fish in it for the past 12 months and going strong. (i had 3 mostly, but just got 2 new ones.)

Now for the good bits. I purchased myself a JEBO R362 tank + stand setup last week. Probably should have asked these questions before i got it, however the impatience kicked in and i needed it yesterday already ;)

Here's a picture of the tank as every post i try to search for about this tank, no one seems to be able to give detailed advice as no one knows the setup.

tank.jpg

It's a 25 gallon (95litre) tank, 60x40x35 cm. It has a lid with a built in filter system. It also has 2 built in lights on top.

Here's my issue....I originally purchased this to run freshwater tropical fish, and if i end up having to get them i'll be happy with that. However, the more i read, i really would love to set my tank up as a saltwater FOWLR. I've been trying to get various lots of information from around the web, and it's getting a little confusing with contradicting info on different sites, so i will just ask what my concerns are and hopefully some answers/discussion on my queries? A fe things to keep in mind.

I'm not interested in bigger fish, just looking at getting some smaller sized fish. I realise my gravel will not be suitable for saltwater fish, which is fine i can change that.

My fish tank has a filter already....it works like this. Looking at the pic, it sucks water at the bottom, right, rear of the tank. This water goes up to the top of the tank, then gets filtered through some cotton mesh and then the water goes back into the tank through the top, right, rear or the tank (the little vacuum looking nozzle). This also blows bubbles into the tank in the top, left, rear of the tank (you can just see in the pic)

1. I have read that a protein skimmer is not needed for a tank my size? And that it is entirely possible to not use one at all for the setup i am interested in? (i'm really confused about this issue). I am definitely going to be having live rock in my tank, this is one of the main reasons i want marine over tropical.

2. What other hardware will i need for my simple marine fish tank setup?

3. Will i need to put a glass sheet between the plastic casing on top (that holds the lights/filters) to prevent corrosion because of the saltwater? (this might sound really stupid but i read this somewhere on my travels)

4. Will all the hardware i need be able to go inside the tank like all the current items i have in there? Nothing hanging of the edge of the tank?

5. Will i still use the filter that i have in the tank if i have a marine setup? Or will it be bad to use this?

I've not got my water testing kit yet (next week when i have more spare $$) But all of that will come as soon as i work out what i need in terms of hardware, so i can setup my tank and get it ready for nitrate cycle.

This is about all i can think of for the moment, i sort of need to jump ahead of myself a little here before i can go any further with my setup. Any advice is very much appreciated. I'm not looking for corals or live reefs or anything like that, and i'm not needing to get myself really difficult fish. I'm happy to go with what my (somewhat limited?) setup may be capable of. I just need to know if i am totally not going to be able to set this up that way or not, without having to basically rip off the cover that came with it and get rid of the whole system (pretty much why i purchased this particular setup as i like the neat internal nature of it all).

I realise this post is HUGE...but any advice on my issues will really help :)

Thanks guys and gals :)

It almost looks like an eclipse lid. The lights don't have a plastic covering over them?
1. On that sized tank and FOWLR, you can use your filter and skip the skimmer (really, it's a personal preference). I don't run a skimmer on my 55.
2. What Mike said!
3. See my second sentence, but you should have them covered.
4. You can add a ph to the inside of the tank and maybe a heater, so, yes.
5. You can use the same filet, the cycle will help "convert" it for SW use. You may want to change out the floss part and replace it with new media.

Back
Top Bottom