some clownfish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a false percula i am pretty sure, and its only like i think 2 inches long and kind of skinny. I chose it because i wanted a smaller one to watch it grow, but i am starting to think this is his max size. How do i tell if its a baby or a male? i want it to grow a bit bigger

anyways im thinking about adding another clownfish, a bigger one, would they have troubles pairing? i dont know how to tell male from female but i just want them to pair. I also want a black/white one if possible, if not maybe one of those clownfish that have smeared black on them? those look cool

i also have plans to add a midas blenny(or some other blenny), would it interfere with them pairing if i introduce them a week apart.

pairenoid said:
i have a false percula i am pretty sure, and its only like i think 2 inches long and kind of skinny. I chose it because i wanted a smaller one to watch it grow, but i am starting to think this is his max size. How do i tell if its a baby or a male? i want it to grow a bit bigger

anyways im thinking about adding another clownfish, a bigger one, would they have troubles pairing? i dont know how to tell male from female but i just want them to pair. I also want a black/white one if possible, if not maybe one of those clownfish that have smeared black on them? those look cool

i also have plans to add a midas blenny(or some other blenny), would it interfere with them pairing if i introduce them a week apart.

If you only have 1 clown, and it's 2", then it's probably a girl already. If alone, a clown will become female. So if you're wanting to get another clown, make it much smaller than this one, and it'll be the male. My b/w oscellaris is only 2", and she's full grown, almost all black. Good luck!!

thanks, i am not sure whether or not i want a bigger clownfish or if ill be happy with 2 inches, to be honest i would like it to be a bit fatter if not bigger overall, he just seems kinda skinny like most of my tropical fish

when i got out of the tropical fish i wanted bigger ones and the clownfish usually look bigger in pictures

ill get a pic later :)

also at first i didnt want a b/w but now i do :(

i just picked up two today and i love them they wont leave each others side alot better then my two yellow tail damsels that just hide all day

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 72
pairenoid said:
thanks, i am not sure whether or not i want a bigger clownfish or if ill be happy with 2 inches, to be honest i would like it to be a bit fatter if not bigger overall, he just seems kinda skinny like most of my tropical fish

when i got out of the tropical fish i wanted bigger ones and the clownfish usually look bigger in pictures

ill get a pic later :)

also at first i didnt want a b/w but now i do :(

What size is your tank again? I forget. If its at least 30g, you could get 2 maroon clowns instead. They get a little bigger than the others clowns. But you can't add 2 maroons if your current clown is still in the tank, cuz they'll gang up and kill it. Also, just FYI, maroon clowns are the most aggressive clowns. They might be territorial towards other fish. And if the tank is a 30, they will probably be your only 2 fish cuz they get to be a good size and make a decent bioload.

If you decide to keep the current clown, you cannot get a clown bigger than it. The problem is that a full grown clown changes to a female, but cannot change back. So if yours has already changed to female and you add an even bigger one that a female, they will fight till one is dead. You would have to add a clown that is much smaller than the current one or trade yours in for bigger clowns.

Back
Top Bottom