Some Observations on New Fish in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New Fish in Quarantine
I have had my clown pair for 4 days now here are some observations.

Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrites- 0.1
Specific Gravity- has remained at 1.021 for all 4 days so far.
Temperature- day 1 (76.1) day 2 (79.5) day 3 (78.3) day 4 (79.8)

today both fish seemed to be swimming rapidly. Not sure if this means anything. They are not eating much at all. I have tried Formula One Pellets so far. I also have the Formula One Flakes but have not tried them so far.

I'm not sure why the temperature is so erratic or if this matters much. Also, are my readings on Ammonia and Nitrites a problem? I plan on doing a small water change tomorrow. Otherwise the fish appear healthy.

How did you cycle your quarantine tank and what type of biological filtration do you have on it? (Biowheel? Sponge Filter?)

Yes... your ammonia/nitrite readings are a problem. Any measurable amount of the two are toxic to fish and won't make them too happy, to say the least. If you did cycle your QT, then maybe this is just a little spike while the bacteria catch up, but I'd still do a 20% water change until those levels get unmeasurable.

I cycled my Quarantine tank using fish food. I have a Marineland Biowheel 100 for filtration. I'll do a 20% change today see if that helps.

Be prepared to do daily 20% water changes to keeo those readings at 0. If necessary you may need to do a morning and evening change until the biowheel catches up.

I agree that you`ll need frequent PWC`s and maybe some GAC to get rid of that ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom