Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by BallinCrew10 View Post
It removes everything. Chlorine, heavy metals, nitrates, phosphates, everything bad for your tank is gone. 99.9% pure water. Everything your fish, inverts, and corals need is then replaced by your salt mix. I didn't use one when I started my tank as I wasn't familiar with its benefits. Trust me you want one, saves alot of headaches.
I also started my first sw tank with tap water and it wasnt pretty. lol It took months of water changes to undo the damage caused by the tap water. Phosphates can leech into the rock making it even harder to get out.

The ro/di water is just one of those things that can make keeping a SW tank alot easier and more pleasant. Just gets rid of everything that is and could be bad for your tank. Most fish stores sell it by the gallon, usually about 50 cents or so. I also was using a water machine outside of my supermarket that was 30 cents a gallon until I got my ro/di unit.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
No, but you will need to put an ammonia source in like fish food or you can find some pure ammonia. Oops wrote that and realized there were more pages, stupid.

"Never trust a computer you cant throw out a window"
LordErrorprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI. I'm totally Newbie -both here and as a aquarist- and any help would be greatly appreciated I have a 300litr saltwater aquarium with live rocks and here are fishes I have: a Maroon clown & also a tomato, a blue tang and one white cheek surgeon, a longnose butterfly & - yeah, I'm aware of my confidence! - a spotted sweetlips, too. so as a friend advised me, I use frozen Artemia & Tetra granules for feeding them. they eat fairly well except the butterfly which prefers searching on the rocks & the sweetlips which also mostly likes to taste the sands and rocks!

so here's my question. is there any thing else I should do to feed them? and how often should I do that? Overall is there any special considerations? thank you in advance.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wish I could tell u man but I'm newbie as well. All I can say is this is so rewarding plus often frustrating at the same time. Good luck with it and I'm in the process of adding live rock, hopefully that will help with filtration
venomfreak65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Oh it will. As i experienced, After adding live rocks the water becomes obviously more clear and the level of nitrate, nitrite and other factors will be more steady. Good luck for you, too!

Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com