Sorry more live rock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Crabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Found a great LFS. There are a lot in my area and this one seems to be the best i.e. biggest, informative (Any advice they give me I double check before applying since I have heard the horror stories on here and generally they are right on the money) They have Tonga, Marshall Island and Fiji rock. Whats the difference? Any preferences? Am I just overanalyzing this? I just want to do whats best for me and my tank

Since you can look at it you will be able to see the difference. Tonga is usually branch shaped, long and thin. Fiji may be a little more dense than Marshall Island, maybe not. They should be able to tell you if one is denser than the other. I prefer rock that is more porous. You get more volume per pound and is is a better nitrate filter. For me a lot of my decision depends on price. I get mine from a local dealer for around $4/lb. There isn's an LFS around here that can touch that, even double that. You can usually get LR online for $3-4 delivered if you buy a large enough quantity.

It all depends what your looking for. I have Fiji in both my tanks and love it, it is more pores and it has lots of shapes so I could create tunnels and caves for the fish. Tonga might be branch? I know a few guys who have that, IMO you are limited to what you can do with the aquascape with branch. You could get a little of both and that would be fine also. Its really up to yo and how you want to aquascape. Its nice when you can hand pick the rock you get.

I was about to pull the trigger on buying 30 lbs each of gulf and keys at LR.com, but lost my ATM card so waiting on my bank to send me a new one and then I found this store. I am still gonna buy at LR.com since I need more than 60lbs but diversification seems like a good idea so I will probably get some after I get my Gulf and Keys rock. Just curious if there are any differences and peoples opinions.

Back
Top Bottom