Species only dwarf seahorse tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I am going to start a 10 g species only seahorse tank I will be having a 1-11/2" sand bed a small hob filter for flow and will have a few things for them to rap there tail around. I am looking for all the advise I can get so please help.

Are you sure you want to do a seahorse tank? I have read that they are recommended for only highly experienced fish keepers, and that they are very sensitive to water issues. ETC. Are you experienced with saltwater fish keeping?

I almost went that route, but they're even harder to keep than other species that are aquacultured.

I found this online store to be helpful when I was considering:

http://www.saltcritters.com/dwarf-seahorses/

No sand would be better since you can get rid of waste faster/easier. You have to account for them getting sucked in the filter (if they're that small, or they're offspring if they breed) and if they wrap their tails around the heater.

Also, like their advice says you'll always want baby brine shrimp food on hand (hatching every day or two).

Macroalgae makes up their natural environment, not corals, so make sure to have lots of macroalgae and non-stinging corals (if you're getting corals).

I just set up a species only sea horse tank bare bottom no Heater in display it will burn the sea horse the like to hold on to things with there tails mine is a 20 g long two hob filters ..The bottom picture he was in the qt tank...

ForumRunner_20130807_072203.jpg

ForumRunner_20130807_072221.jpg

I almost went that route, but they're even harder to keep than other species that are aquacultured.

I found this online store to be helpful when I was considering:

http://www.saltcritters.com/dwarf-seahorses/

No sand would be better since you can get rid of waste faster/easier. You have to account for them getting sucked in the filter (if they're that small, or they're offspring if they breed) and if they wrap their tails around the heater.

Also, like their advice says you'll always want baby brine shrimp food on hand (hatching every day or two).

Macroalgae makes up their natural environment, not corals, so make sure to have lots of macroalgae and non-stinging corals (if you're getting corals).

Would hippocampus erectus be easier to care for.

Would hippocampus erectus be easier to care for.

In my view, yes, but like the previous poster said, easier doesn't mean they're easy to keep, just means they're less difficult. The captive bred ones eat frozen mysis which is really convenient but they still need to be fed 2-3 times daily.

For the larger seahorses, the concern is the bioload that will be put on the tank. You need a tank/filtration big enough to handle you putting a 1-2 cubes of mysis shrimp each day (especially since it prob wont all be eaten). 30 gallons and a sump is highly recommended.

Also they are very sensitive to parameters meaning there can be very little swings in salinity, temp, etc. If you haven't mastered a reef, I wouldn't suggest getting seahorses quite yet because they are pretty needy and fragile.

In my view, yes, but like the previous poster said, easier doesn't mean they're easy to keep, just means they're less difficult. The captive bred ones eat frozen mysis which is really convenient but they still need to be fed 2-3 times daily.

For the larger seahorses, the concern is the bioload that will be put on the tank. You need a tank/filtration big enough to handle you putting a 1-2 cubes of mysis shrimp each day (especially since it prob wont all be eaten). 30 gallons and a sump is highly recommended.

Also they are very sensitive to parameters meaning there can be very little swings in salinity, temp, etc. If you haven't mastered a reef, I wouldn't suggest getting seahorses quite yet because they are pretty needy and fragile.

Ya I should have put less difficult instead of easier.

dwarves are extremely difficult. I have attempted them three times. I care for discus and mandarins without hassle, butt he dwarves have stumped me. Dwarves require live food, several times a day. They're cute and all, but I would rate them an expert only, devoted only, fish.

I toured the facility at the Long Beach aquarium where they breed seahorses. They use inverted 5 gallon water jugs with the bottoms cut off as they say the baby seahorses will get swept into the corner of a conventional tank and die. They were producing lots of green water and baby brine as well as rotifers for feeding.

Last edited:
I watched mine peck at some ghost shrimp, mine is a wild caught species I got with a bag of shrimp I got from the local dock I was surprised it was alive as the bag of fresh shrimp had no water realy....I've had him since Sunday so hopefully he's gunna make it .. nice info in this tread so far

Back
Top Bottom