Spending some money...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good. The API test kits aren't the most accurate around, but they work. A more accurate, but also more costly test kit is a Salifert kit.

I did a quick search on google and I dont think they have a master test kit like API, just individual tests. Everything was $14+

OK, heres the dumb question for the day. What does the TDS test for and why do I want one? Ebay says "water quality"??? Nitrates? Ammonia? For $13 I'll buy 2 but I don't understand what it actually does? :confused:

Jmlorfam said:
OK, heres the dumb question for the day. What does the TDS test for and why do I want one? Ebay says "water quality"??? Nitrates? Ammonia? For $13 I'll buy 2 but I don't understand what it actually does? :confused:

Well it measures the total desolved solids in water you want a number close to 0ppm otherwise you might have algae problems for instance my tap water is 240ppm avg my ro unit brings it down to 1ppm

Now that I understand, thanks! that's a deal at $13. I may have to order one from ebay, free shipping too!:rolleyes:

What does the TDS test for and why do I want one?

It's best for testing the quality of your RO/DI and also letting you know when to change filters. The water going into my unit is 500+, and on it's way out it's 0ppm. Once I start seeing the number go from "0" to anything else, I'll know it's time to get a new filter.

I just got my TDS meter a couple weeks ago.. Same thing, my tap water is about 450 and I have a 4 stage RO and it brings it down to 4... I didnt go with the DI stage as Im doing FOWLR.. Dont need it at 0 as with a reef you do want it at 0ppm.

Shane.

Back
Top Bottom