Spike in Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ffmd212

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I hope this finds you all well.
A quick question, I had a spike in my Nitrate readings. I havee been pretty steady for months around 10ppm, but in the last 7 days my readings rose to 20ppm. I did add a cleaning crew about two weeks ago with snails and crabs, could their addtion to my four fish and rock tank make things change that much? I just did a water change which is on schedule for me, every other week. The only difference this time I did about a 50% change as oppsoe to a 15% change that I usually do. I am gonna let things settle down and recheck my readings and see where I am at. Just wanted a little imput on this!
Thanks and have a great weekend!
Jim

Hello everyone, I hope this finds you all well.
A quick question, I had a spike in my Nitrate readings. I havee been pretty steady for months around 10ppm, but in the last 7 days my readings rose to 20ppm. I did add a cleaning crew about two weeks ago with snails and crabs, could their addtion to my four fish and rock tank make things change that much? I just did a water change which is on schedule for me, every other week. The only difference this time I did about a 50% change as oppsoe to a 15% change that I usually do. I am gonna let things settle down and recheck my readings and see where I am at. Just wanted a little imput on this!
Thanks and have a great weekend!
Jim
Update to post, after water change, my Nitrate level is 10ppm. So that is better, just have to keep working towards 0 !!

So that is better, just have to keep working towards 0 !!

(y)

Also for future references I would not do so big a PWC. It is better IMO to do smaller more frequent PWC`s than one big one. The reason being that a big one will alter the water chemistry in your tank probably causing problems for your fish and corals if you have corals. JMO

What would be a good schedule for water changes and how much each time? The tank size is 62 gals. Just rock and fish right now. Would like to have corals some day, but want to make sure I can manage the tank first!! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom