Spotted Snake Eel [picture]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyfishlady

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well it's an out of focus picture for the time being...
img_907798_0_8fe2cd01035a2a37379531491a57df84.jpg

What exactly does this eels diet consist of? It loves shrimp but when I fed it silversides yesterday it ate them, then threw them up. Any information on these eels would be greatly appreciated. I haven't found much info on the web...

Can you ask your lfs where they purchased from, region I mean? I don't mean to be rude, but you should try and stay away from impulse purchases with animals you have no idea how to care for, which in the end usually interferes with the animal's welfare. Depending on the species, this animal could attain anywhere from 1ft-3ft. They are often found in shallow lagoons searching for food around rock structures or burrowing within the substrate (mud, soft sand, etc) in rest. Depending on the region helps determine temperature values, but 78F would be decent in covering most bases. As for food, like other eels feeding twice weekly should be enough with varied fish, squid, shrimp, etc. What size tank is this in as it looks very cramped? I would not house such an animal in anything less than 150g with a greater sandbed to liverock ratio and limited to no tankmates unless 180g+.

I have adopted both my eels with thier welfare in mind otherwise, I wouldn't have posted this thread. The previous owner did not want them, he said they were posted for free, 11 people showed intrerest and no one showed up to take them. I showed up at the owners house to purchase live rock and sand with no intent on coming home with eels... They were both crammed in a 30G tank, a snowflake and this leopard/spotted snake eel. They now both reside in my 72G which, has nothing but live rock and sand in there. It may look a little stuffed in the picture because the tank is only partially filled there. As for impulsive purchases, I do not have the funds for that nor am I that naive. I have been growing up with fish and other animals all of my life, if I did not think I could provide an adequate home for these eels I would not have taken them in the first place. There is plenty of information on the snowflake so I am up to par on that one, I just need a little more specific care info on the snake eel or FACTS from someone who has/had one. If you have any opinions, please save it for another thread, thank you.
Here are a few websites I have found but still, not all that informative:
Myrichthys maculosus, Tiger snake eel: aquarium
Cook Islands Biodiversity : Myrichthys maculosus - Spotted Snake-Eel
Myrichthys maculosus - Wikimedia Commons
Leopard Eel (Myrichthys maculosus)
TIGER SNAKE EEL - Encyclopedia of Life
Tiger snake eel: Information from Answers.com

I'm not finding a lot of information on your eel. It seems to be an animal best left in the ocean.

From what I have read it seems they like a deep sand bed to burrow in with limited rock. They like shrimp, fish and apparently will eat other eels. Not good if you have a snowflake in with it. I've read mixed things about how big it will get. Some sites have said 36" and others say up to 5'.

I have to admit it is a cool looking eel. I don't know much about eels but from what little I could find on this one it doesn't seem to be a mainstream choice in the aquarium world.

Sorry I couldn't help more. I hope to see some more pics though. Very cool eel!

If you have any opinions, please save it for another thread, thank you.

No, thats not the way it is. This is an aquaria forum and all opinions are welcome as long as they are not flaming or abusive. Innovator was just posting his opinion. Everyone has the right to post their opinion. You can accept it or reject it. But dont expect to hear only what you want to hear. Dont take it personal and have an open mind.

Just a word of caution - I have collected a number of large snake eels during my research surveys of reef fishes, and found they can be amazing escape artists. Their tails have stiff tips, which they use to dive backwards into the sand. Those same tails can also be used as a wedge to force open lids on buckets! You might want to weigh your tank covers down, just to be on the safe side.

Tony

Treat them as you would an eel, except that they do need open substrate more than rockwork. Although we do not bother collecting these for work, I have worked with them at times and they are prone to bacterial infections from excessive scrapes and cuts, thus soft sand-mud substrate and minimal rockwork. My previous response was indeed based on my opinion, but at least it is through some experience. I still say the tank is too small for longterm growth/health, substrate looks a bit too coarse, and too much liverock from the pictures alone. You can check fishbase.org if you wish to search actual species.

I fed it silversides yesterday it ate them, then threw them up
Smart Eel, it knows that the silversides has no nutritional values to sustain him/her. Silversides for the most part, consist of mostly water and offers nothing to any eels diet.

Can you ask your lfs where they purchased from
That would be a mistake in the happening, LFS for the most part, not even understand the eel species they often sale, other then the money that they make from the sales itself.

this animal could attain anywhere from 1ft-3ft
But from most who try keeping most eels, they never do all their very best in everything that there be to maintaining these animals for the longer term. Many could never give these animals the variety that their diet requires for their long term health care.

should be enough with varied fish, squid, shrimp
Even Octopus

They now both reside in my 72G which, has nothing but live rock and sand in there. It may look a little stuffed in the picture because the tank is only partially filled there.
This will now depend much on both sizes of the two eels your keeping in this 72 gal tank. What is most important that you need to understand is, when most eels are in their young juvenile stages, they depend on the company of other eels to add in their numbers for their survival, but much later, this will however have a huge turnaround once they enter their adult stages.

LR however is find, but you also for these type of snake eels will require however a DSB, this im afraid is a must. One of the single things in keeping eels is that you offer them as best to their normal surroundings would be, and in this case, a DSB.

I would not house such an animal in anything less than 150g with a greater sandbed to liverock ratio and limited to no tankmates unless 180g+.
This is just about right on, this eel like any eel will even bite another in its tank when is hungry, there be no avoiding this from happening, unless there are no other fish. But if your willing however to go with a 150 gal tank, then perhaps you can go just a bit larger, to a 180 and keep a pair.

This would mean however that you will have a more open area for these eels, with a DSB of better then 6". This also would mean that you would be needing a high turnover rate, but mild to medium water currents, with no dead spots. You will also be requiring a weekly water change of 30 gals.

Also, in time to come, when your eel is larger, it will consume the SFE, get it out.

You can accept it or reject it
Yes, you can reject ones view, or reject them, but do however be extremely careful to who you decide to listen too.

But dont expect to hear only what you want to hear.
That has taking place all too often, others who wanted my opinion on their eels, later taking the thoughts of others, because it was what they wanted to do, please don`t go that route.

Just a word of caution - I have collected a number of large snake eels during my research surveys of reef fishes, and found they can be amazing escape artists. Their tails have stiff tips, which they use to dive backwards into the sand. Those same tails can also be used as a wedge to force open lids on buckets! You might want to weigh your tank covers down, just to be on the safe side.
The real problem in this Tony is that snake eels tend to be more on the move to the top of the tank, to where as the true eel will move to locate prey, searching every inch of the tank, and this is why they were giving the name, "escape artists" to which their really not trying to get out of the tank their in.

Like I kept a good number of eel species through the years, and mostly giving them eel only tanks, rather then having any number of fish with them, other then the damsels that is. But also, I had/have canopies on these tanks, with duct tapes across the back of the tank in order to secure any escape routes, this also means that your overflow box requires some type of cover over it as well. And if your not a chiller, and you have heating problems during the hot months, it be best to not have your tank lights on, it will only add to the situation.

Also, be carful not to have your hands to near to its mouth, most snake eels will have ciguatera poisoning.

Buddy

Eels

Hello. Yes, watch out for eels under your heels. If you leave any space at all and they can get their noses out, the rest follows. My Snowflake escaped twice and spent the night on the floor. I was pretty surprised. It survived both the fall and the time out. Of course it was a warm summer night. My understanding is they naturally come out of the water and explore the shore looking for stranded crustations. As Snowflake got bigger she was stronger and could actually push on the top. I cut plastic to fit exactly around the openings at the back of the tank and weighted the top and back with glass weights. They will eat almost any sea food offered in my experience. Snowflake loved shrimp from the market. Oddly, she preferred it cooked. Don't feed only Krill, there isn't enough nourishment in it, and be sure to change 20% water regularly. (I did so every week) It is very interesting that you have a spotted Leopard. It sounds like you are experienced with Morays, but just reminders and especially watch your fingers, feed with a stick, NEVER put your hand in the tank. They are fast and the bites infect immediately. ESP the Leopard. That Leopard is going to need a lot more care than the Snowflake IMHO. You might contact Saltwaterfish.com. They sell the Leopard eel and will probably help you out. They are VERY agressive. I agree with the comments regarding a good deal of open space for thrashing about and a formation of rock for each of them that provides enough space for the entire body to get under. Be sure to vacuum under the rocks regularly. Feces are hard to spot. Have a really good flow of water. My only problem with Eels is they are a species only tank, but on the other hand they are really personable, in a rather ferocious way, and super interesting. Sounds like you took them on because you felt so sorry for them. I don't think they are ever really happy in a tank and I have a prejudice that they should be a species that is discouraged in the marine trade. As far as I am concerned it is like trying to domisticate a Lion or a tiger and the tank, no matter how big, is never big enough. Since you have taken them on, I suggest you hunt for two of the biggest tanks you can find and dedicate them to the eels. Try surrounding cities with larger populations. sometimes club members have extra tanks they will lend you for the dration. Be prepared to spend a bit of $$$ on salt. I have heard they do OK with fish that are quite a bit bigger than their own mouths and very active. I have a friend who has kept his for years with a Trigger. Good luck and they are lucky to have you.

Back
Top Bottom