Spreading like wildfire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleHauze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone help me to eradicate this algae. I have tried to manually remove it but it keeps coming back. Parameters are in spec, I am running GFO and carbon. I don't know what to do next.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436999636.116933.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436999636.116933.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 161
I can't tell exactly from the pic but it either looks like serve green bubble algae or Caulerpa Racemosa,

I have killed the most invasive racemosa(microphysia) with H2O2.
You will need to target small spots for a couple days to achieve success.
But it does work.
I hit spot by spot over 1 1/2 months!
Killed it all in my 75g.
The calurpae you have is racmosa.

That is not bubble algae. It is caulerpa like previously stated. The raceemosa variety. Manual removal won't do it because of all the roots. I'd take it out of the tank, manually remove, and scrub and soak in H2O2.

I used to keep this macro algae in my display tank as well as another type of caulerpa. Manual removal worked great for me and it never came back.

H2O2 I'm guessing is hydrogen peroxide? Did you soak in a straight solution or mix with RO/DI water?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I mixed mine with water when treating on a small scale. When doing it large scale, I don't see any other way of doing it...some large pieces could require a 5 gallon bucket to treat. That is a ton of H2O2.

Don't know the size of the tank, but you'd be good throwing in a very small yellow tang or small fox face, they would take care of that stuff quite quickly, then take the fish back.

I pulled every rock out of my tank pulled off what i could, scrubbed and soaked them in hydrogen peroxide about 2 months ago. So far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Caulerpa Racemosa is hard to eradicate as it anchors deep inside the rock , basically the only way to remove it is to replace the rocks, some like the look of it but it takes over if not controlled ,
soaking in peroxide don't work , cooking in hot sun don't work it will kill what is on the rock surface but will return as it has rooted deep within the rock ,
it is one of the hardest macro's to get rid of

I have killed the most invasive racemosa(microphysia) with H2O2.
You will need to target small spots for a couple days to achieve success.
But it does work.
I hit spot by spot over 1 1/2 months!
Killed it all in my 75g.
The calurpae you have is racmosa.
Will this work on a reaccuring, tank dominating hair algae and red slime... I manually clean my rocks (bout 70 lbs.) Every other week...it's getting old I need HELP!!!! I'VE tried several algae killers destroyers u name it...keeps coming back.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom