Stage 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman703

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI , the jouney continues, my first salt water tank has been running for 6 months now, pretty happy - decided it was time to spend more some money on the hobby. Finally bought a RO/DI , the plan is to do my normal 4 gallon water change ( 3 times a week ). Every week the water quailty will be better.
Decided to buy some more live rock - 25lbs , its current siting in its own tank cycling. SO then I was thinking -- the crushed coral -- just bugs me, thinking about replacing it with sand.

So ,
Any good reason to keep some crushed corel in the tank , and put teh sand on top?
or
Take as much os posible of the crushed coral out , and slowing add sand-
Or
sould i pund the sand with the new live rock and have it cycle?

SO basically - whats teh best way to change out coral with sand? ( And I assume sand needs to cycle -- is this true? )

Thanks in advance.

The CC will end up on the top regardless. I had the CC/sand combo and it was a pain getting the CC out once I decided it was not what I wanted.
I used a plastic strainer to separate the CC from the sand in the tank....with fish!

If it is truly live sand then it should be cycled but most likely its not "live" , nor ever was. What kind of sand is it.

I agree with Scott... get the CC out. It will do nothing but create issues eventually. If you're concerned about removing bacteria with it, hang some in a filter sock.

I did mine 1/3 or 1/4 (can't remember which) of the tank at a time over a 3 or 4 week period.

I was planning/thinking of getting 90lbs of Aragamax Sand. I do liek the filter sock idea. If I removed 1/3 of the CC at a time -- do I replace it with sand? Or after 3 weeks when its all out , add sand back 1/3 at a time?

MY local lfs woudl give me some seed sand if i asked.

And thanks for all the replies - the cc is coming out -- why wait.....

I took out 1/3 at a time and added 1/3 sand. That gave the bacteria and critters time to propagate move.

Ty :) -- Last question ( maybe :) ) -- Does the sand I want cycle? ( getting it from a certain online dr.... )

Just go with teh dry sand, rinse well and add. I wouldn't spend any extra on the "live" stuff..

Back
Top Bottom