Starfish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had cleaned my tank and noticed 3 new baby starfish. Where are they coming from? I have not added anything to my tank in over 4 months.

You'll be surprised what starts showing up as your tank matures.

i once had a jelly fish stuck to my glass and i was thinking how the... but i think my snail ate it.

i have baby snail in my tank.

i have lots of pods

algae is a good example of how things just show up. you may have had one tiny leg on some rock, it grew into a star and fell apart.

Do they look like these asternia stars.

100_0616-med.jpg

mini brittle stars by chance? I thought the same thing myself.....where in the world did that come from??? Gotta love it....

Then you have asternia stars. Congrats. They multiply like crazy at times. The numbers seem to ebb and flow. I have some with just 1 stub of an arm and 1 or 2 with 6 arms.

They reproduce by dropping off arms. Melosu58's picture shows them full size.
Mine came to me on a piece coral. At first I tried to removing them. Now when they get too overcrowded I move as many as I can to my predator reef tank.

does anyone know where i can buy some asternia stars? iv looked online. perhaps i over looked a site?

I dont know anywhere you can buy them. They usually hitch hike on LR. If you have a LFS nearby go to his LR bin and you`ll probably see some in the tank. He might even give you some.

Back
Top Bottom