starfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmilkman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I put a starfish in my tank today and it keeps climbing up the glass and putting part of its body out of the water. Is this normal behavior?

I put a starfish in my tank today and it keeps climbing up the glass and putting part of its body out of the water. Is this normal behavior?
yes I've had a couple and the ones that I've had have done that, in the ocean the tide coming in and out constantly puts them in and out if the water so I never sweated it.

Thanks. I was worried because I had read not to expose them to air when moving them into the tank. Of course when I moved it from the bag I had to expose it briefly

My chocolate chip used to do this frequently. It would drive me crazy because he used to obstruct the overflow... I guess it's normal. Be sure to feed your sea star also. The guy at my LFS said you don't need to feed it, but I feed mine one small frozen shrimp each week. Just put the shrimp on the sand and set the star on top and watch him go to work...

Thanks. My lfs said the same but I was planning to feed it something.

I never fed mine anything and they lived for years. They eat microbes in the tank and on the glass. As far as being out of the water that is normal as long as the mouth is not exposed. What type star is it? Btw exposing it briefly is fatal. Next time you'll need to keep adding tank water to the bag and then pouring some off till you have very little lfs water and then you'll need to dunk the bag in the tank and then pull it out and quickly pull the bag out. Hope it goes alright.

Back
Top Bottom