Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Originally Posted by bennerkla
you're saying
Not sure which of us you're responding to, but I was refering to a brittle star. They will scavenge for food around the tank and rock, you won't have to feed them directly.

For a chocolate chip star, I'm not as familiar with them so I don't know their feeding requirements, i'll let someone else comment on those. For price, shop around the price will vary from site to site, LFS to LFS but typically I think i've seen them for less than $20 US at my LFS.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:17 PM   #12
Originally Posted by bennerkla
and you're saying that i wouldn't have to directly feed it becuase it'll eat off the live rock?
CC stars are omnivors. If they can catch it most often they will eat it. They are not considered reef safe and are best left for FO or FOWLR tanks. They will bebefit from direct feedings of krill, silversides or other meaty fair. They will not realy ba able to sustain themselves on the fish "leavings" or simple detritus depending on tank size and animal load.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a chocolate chip star that I bought for 6$, I think, ive had it for about a year. I hardly ever feed it it just seems to find things to eat. You can give it some frozen brine shrimp, thats all ive ever given mine. He seems to be in good health. Ive never seem Finding nemo either, waiting till its on DVD 8)
OUfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 12:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
any starfish is an opportunistic feeder. That means, if it can eat it, it will. I usuakky feed my starfish pieces of shrimp from the grocery store. They actually become conditioned, and will venture to the surface when hungry, and extend an arm waiting for its meal to be fed to them.

I've never seen Nemo either...maybe whenb its on video

"You tell 'em I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me"
By-Tor is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com