Starfish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bennerkla

Aquarium Advice Regular
Could i put a starfish in either a 55 gallon or a 75 gallon tank? How do i feed it? and will it cooperate with a tang and clown? does it need live rock to survive?

What kind of starfish are you looking into? Each species will have specific needs and somewhat differing care levels.

Cheers
Steve

Ben, please tell me your not trying to do the Nemo thing. Anyways, Steve is right. If you are just starting out, you might try a chocolate chip starfish(unless you have a clam or other mollusks). Then, there are several easy to take care of species, such as the Linkia or Brittle's. Good luck 0X

Whats wrong with it if he is??? Ben, if that really is something you are tryin to accomplish go for it! Im sure BY-tor is just givin ya a hard time :wink: Although im sure there has been alot of clown/hippo tang questions floating around after that movie!!! :wink:

Since we are on the topic, what is the best star to keep with clams? I like the red linkas but I heard they are not safe with clams.

Yes... I totally agree with two11devan on this.... So what if he is inspired from the finding nemo movie! We all have valid reasons for wanting to start this hobby, this is by no means a less valid reason. And if anything, it is a good thing that this movie drew people's attention to the beauty of coral reefs and the life beneath the ocean. The more awareness and interest the better, in my opinion. Interest and knowledge goes a long way in the conservation of the remaining reefs!!

IMO, I would suggest a Brittle star as the easiest to keep. I purchased mine @ about 5-6" leg to leg... he is now likely over a foot leg to leg. He will simply scavenge bits of food, algae or other matter from the floor of the tank and off the LR. They are not aggressive nor have any other bad qualities that I can think of. Not that they are an especialy shy invert and will spend 99% of their time under/behind rocks with only their legs sticking out. That other 1% of the time is at night when they're moving to hide under a different rock :wink:

I have heard linkia's are not particularly easy to care for. I have only kept one, It appeared fine for about two months, then I never saw it again. I completely expect to find it in a wall some years down the road, i never even found the body. I just one day realized... where's the linkia?

lol, that's crazy. how much is a chocolate chip starfish? and you're saying that i wouldn't have to directly feed it becuase it'll eat off the live rock?

bennerkla said:
you're saying
Not sure which of us you're responding to, but I was refering to a brittle star. They will scavenge for food around the tank and rock, you won't have to feed them directly.

For a chocolate chip star, I'm not as familiar with them so I don't know their feeding requirements, i'll let someone else comment on those. For price, shop around the price will vary from site to site, LFS to LFS but typically I think i've seen them for less than $20 US at my LFS.

bennerkla said:
and you're saying that i wouldn't have to directly feed it becuase it'll eat off the live rock?
CC stars are omnivors. If they can catch it most often they will eat it. They are not considered reef safe and are best left for FO or FOWLR tanks. They will bebefit from direct feedings of krill, silversides or other meaty fair. They will not realy ba able to sustain themselves on the fish "leavings" or simple detritus depending on tank size and animal load.

Cheers
Steve

I have a chocolate chip star that I bought for 6$, I think, ive had it for about a year. I hardly ever feed it it just seems to find things to eat. You can give it some frozen brine shrimp, thats all ive ever given mine. He seems to be in good health. Ive never seem Finding nemo either, waiting till its on DVD 8)

any starfish is an opportunistic feeder. That means, if it can eat it, it will. I usuakky feed my starfish pieces of shrimp from the grocery store. They actually become conditioned, and will venture to the surface when hungry, and extend an arm waiting for its meal to be fed to them.

I've never seen Nemo either...maybe whenb its on video 0X

Back
Top Bottom