Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to bennerkla Send a message via MSN to bennerkla
Starfish...

Could i put a starfish in either a 55 gallon or a 75 gallon tank? How do i feed it? and will it cooperate with a tang and clown? does it need live rock to survive?

Old 08-25-2003, 12:12 AM   #2
steve-s

What kind of starfish are you looking into? Each species will have specific needs and somewhat differing care levels.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-25-2003, 12:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ben, please tell me your not trying to do the Nemo thing. Anyways, Steve is right. If you are just starting out, you might try a chocolate chip starfish(unless you have a clam or other mollusks). Then, there are several easy to take care of species, such as the Linkia or Brittle's. Good luck
Old 08-25-2003, 01:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whats wrong with it if he is??? Ben, if that really is something you are tryin to accomplish go for it! Im sure BY-tor is just givin ya a hard time Although im sure there has been alot of clown/hippo tang questions floating around after that movie!!!
Old 08-25-2003, 01:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since we are on the topic, what is the best star to keep with clams? I like the red linkas but I heard they are not safe with clams.
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 01:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

None to my knowledge...
Old 08-25-2003, 01:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes... I totally agree with two11devan on this.... So what if he is inspired from the finding nemo movie! We all have valid reasons for wanting to start this hobby, this is by no means a less valid reason. And if anything, it is a good thing that this movie drew people's attention to the beauty of coral reefs and the life beneath the ocean. The more awareness and interest the better, in my opinion. Interest and knowledge goes a long way in the conservation of the remaining reefs!!
Old 08-25-2003, 02:45 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, I would suggest a Brittle star as the easiest to keep. I purchased mine @ about 5-6" leg to leg... he is now likely over a foot leg to leg. He will simply scavenge bits of food, algae or other matter from the floor of the tank and off the LR. They are not aggressive nor have any other bad qualities that I can think of. Not that they are an especialy shy invert and will spend 99% of their time under/behind rocks with only their legs sticking out. That other 1% of the time is at night when they're moving to hide under a different rock

I have heard linkia's are not particularly easy to care for. I have only kept one, It appeared fine for about two months, then I never saw it again. I completely expect to find it in a wall some years down the road, i never even found the body. I just one day realized... where's the linkia?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol, that's crazy. how much is a chocolate chip starfish? and you're saying that i wouldn't have to directly feed it becuase it'll eat off the live rock?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

BTW i have NEVER SEEN FINDING NEMO!!!!

Tags
starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com