Starry blenny owners! Lend me your ears! :) please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JW20VT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering if anyone had similar behavior after acclimating and adding to tank.

Besides the blenny i have a pair of saddleback clowns who have been in there and perfect for about a week. Before i added blenny tonight i fed the tank so everyone was nice and relaxed for the big addition.

He wasnt co-operating at all but finally i got him into the tank. He swam a little and went for the rocks with cave. The clowns of course following him never making any attacks but could tell them were checking him out. Long story short the clowns are off doing there own thing now and my blenny is top of the tank doing burst of laps and swimming back to behind my heater?? Is there something wrong or these guys take a little to get used to tank

Mine didn't act like that but each have their own personalities. It does sound like he just needs some time to adjust. Make sure there are lots of hiding spots and observe.

I was told when i first posted about starting and cycling a tank to not get stressed because the most stressful part is yet to come.... Stocking the tank

And with that said i think my prob is more need to relax and give him a a few days to get used to the tank. I woke up this morning and he was back up in between the heater and glass... I started to feed the clowns and with them distracted eating on other side i decided to check out the blenny. He wasn't breathing hard or faster than normal, i tapped a few times on water near him and he slowly came out . I let him swim around and sit on rocks a bit, the clowns were up in his face a lot watching every move at first then relaxed some. I put some frozen mysis shrimp in and he took a few pieces and hasnt been back up by heater at all.

Fingers crossed, ill post some pics when i get to take a few tonight

Hes been back to the corner most of the day but swimming at times, ate few pieces of floating frozen mysis but starting to be a nervous newb :/.

Keep trying to tell myself to relax because i know from my past experiences with other animals ... Reptiles and freshwater.... It takes a few days but just am getting nervous with him. Dont want to stress him out so bad he ich's out on me. What are the real bad signs i should be watching for instead of just flipping out about every little thing he does wierd.

I know this sounds simplistic, but just observe, he should usually stay in cracks and crannys only occasionally swimming out in the open. As he grows more comfortable he will venture out more often. Mine is very timid for food, usually hiding until the other tank mates were done.

Ive had mine for 2 months, he used to Just poke his head out of little nooks and perch of the rocks near his territory, but now he comes out to greet me when ever i come by the tank. It is normal for them to hide for the first couple weeks and then after they feel at home they will come out alot.

Back
Top Bottom