Start up and running of a large fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Csmith66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My lfs has a 300 gallon tank with double corner flow, stand, and hood that has been sitting there and hasnt sold in a long time for $1300 and i want to get it with the intention of making it a fowlr but i want to know what the cost to buy the necessities to get it going and the running/mantinence costs i would prefer to know the cheapest yet still decent quality route please

It depends if you prefer to go DIY or cheap brand or expensive high end stuff.

You will need rocks sands, or bare bottom. Heaters, filters or filtration of some sort in the sump. Skimmer, lights, test kits, pumps and other misc. I may miss a thing or two.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would basically want a happy medium between cheap and good quality I already have sand and rocks covered I would just like to know the cost to run such a large tank and cost of things such as lights, filtration, etc

My lfs has a 300 gallon tank with double corner flow, stand, and hood that has been sitting there and hasnt sold in a long time for $1300 and i want to get it with the intention of making it a fowlr but i want to know what the cost to buy the necessities to get it going and the running/mantinence costs i would prefer to know the cheapest yet still decent quality route please

if its been there a long time there must be something wrong with it be sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb
try and offer like $750 you never know he may let it go cheap
check out craigs list you can find some good deals and save a big chunk of change, that you could use on other things youll need for a smooth start up

I got my 240g (LeeMar, glass, euro braced with LeeMar stand and hood, light, sump, skimmer, pumps, sand, RO unit, 250lbs live rock, 3 fish, etc for $1000 on Craigslist). I added some Hydor Koralia powerheads for more flow.

I agree with looking over the LFS one and offering less. The worst they can say is NO, but I bet they'd like to get rid of it.

Look over CL and see what is in your area that is used and you will get an idea of costs. You want a skimmer that can handle 2x your water volume. For fish-only, lights don't matter much. Sump just needs to hold the skimmer unless you want to have a refugium. You will want a good return pump, as the plumbing from the sump will likely be lengthy with corner overflows/returns. Prices can vary wildly, but I would guess $150-300 for lights, $200-400 skimmer, $150-250 return pump, sump=depends how you go, maybe $250-350 for additional powerheads, heaters are additional too if you need them.

Keep in mind the cost of water changes and salt. That adds up over time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

if its been there a long time there must be something wrong with it...

I'm not sure...that seems a little steep unless it comes with everything. It's also not a size tank that will move quickly just due to the limited amount of people that will take on a 300g. Smaller tanks move fast. Be sure to check it out though!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom