Starter fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can drip acclimate black mollies to full strength saltwater (around $1.99 each), but if you were looking for something truly marine, there are several damselfish species that would be okay (normally in the $4 to $8 range). Unfortunately, most of them are pretty pugnacious for their size. These would be blue damsels, sergeant majors, domino damsels, two stripe damsels, and three strip damsels mostly. Green chromis are in the same price range, but I have not found them to be as hardy myself.

HOWEVER, the better alternative if you are trying to get your nitrogen cycle started would be fishless cycling. You can find a great article about it here:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

So, I guess the question remains, are you loooking to stock your tank or cycle it?

Thank you, i never knew mollies could survive in saltwater.

go for blue / green chromis, non aggressive and make a beautiful start to your fish stocking list!

How much are chromis, what other cheap fish could i be looking for and how much are they ?

Jonesy99- I'm assuming you're in the USA as most users of this site are so I cannot help with chromis costs, sorry! However if you are in the UK like me then you could pick them up for around £4 each. Not expensive at all!

Paulace2372- thanks i actually do love in the uk, could you recommend any good livestock retailers, where i could get them cheap.

Back
Top Bottom