starting a 150 gal aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,
I have been lurking around the forums reading for a few days now. I have always loved aquariums and have done several small freshwater setups in the past. I recently, though, stumbled upon a steal of a deal at a thrift store and snagged a 150 gallon aquarium and stand for $100. I decided it was time for the saltwater setup I have always wanted! Anyway I want to start with fish only, and live rock,.then possibly transition to coral down the line. My problem is that all the posts helping get people set up, as well as all the equipment at the LFS are all geared to smaller aquaria, the largest being 55g. I don't even know where to begin on this giant! Can anyone point me to good information, or share any experiences with larger tanks?

It's not really any different than a 55. Just get it filled, add your rock, and start cycling! Is there anything in particular you're having trouble with?

Well the biggest problem currently is filtration. Where can I get a 150g aquarium filter, any recommendations?

A sump :) Make one! or, if not, you can use a canister filter or several hang on backs.

Run a sump and your live rock is your filter all u need is a sock

I got a Marineland canister slightly used at my lfs. By the way, excellent deal. He used it to demonstrate a 260 tank and it finally sold ha... then here I come, peeping in the room he was storing it in (well, the light was on and there you go), asking whatcha doin' with THAT...lol

Stupid question though- have you water-tested it? I ended up finding out my tank had a leak and had to redo the seams. Now it's water-tight.

I'm excited for you and this new tank! Good luck however you go with it. I'm staying FW.

I'll have to look up this "sump" sounds better than multiple canister filters..

I have not water tested it yet. I took for granted it has not been out of use long. I will be cleaning it up tomorrow, possibly adding substrate.

Where is the best place to buy large amounts of live rock?

1st you wont need all live rock save a ton of cash by going with dry reef rock (15-25 lbs of live rock will seed the rest) use the extra money and buy a good set of LED's if your plan is to go reef in the future you tube sumps best thing i did for my reef tank get a good skimmer and some power heads your gonna want a lot of water movement
If your sure about going reef be sure to stock with reef safe fish to begin with it will save you a lot of headaches later For dry reef rock i like BRS's reef saver rock the pukani will give the most bulk per lb get in on a group buy and save even more.

Go to reefrocks.net for $85 you get 50lbs of rock free shipping. And for a 150g tank you're looking at 150-200lbs. $255-$340 from reefrocks. $375-$500 if you buy from bulkreefsupply. And $600-$800 for live rock. Bulkreefsupply's rock is the same rock used by reefrocks.net. I've ordered 14lbs from bulk reef supply and 9lbs from reefrocks.net and got much more than bulk reef supply.

Back
Top Bottom