starting a Fish-Only-Mangrove tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
My reef tank contains a small patch of about 7 mangroves, and all of my fish love to be in the roots of them a lot, so I was thinking of starting a Fish-Only-Mangrove tank. I know it's not a natural habitat for most fish sold out there, but the ones I have in my reef seem to enjoy them better than the live rock caves in the reef. So, my question is, will the mangroves and sand with just a few smaller pieces of "decorative" live rock maintain the bacteria balance needed to support the tank?

I think it would probably be the same as a Fish-only tank then. Maybe use some filter pads to provide areas for bacterial growth. I'm not sure how FO works haha

Yeah, I plan on doing that. Plus, I am going to wait 6-12 months to add fish, as I am going to try and spike the nitrates and phosphates to boost the mangrove initial growth.

How do you plan to boost the nitrates with no nitrogen source?

After cycling I intend to continue feeding the tank with a small amount of flake and performing maintenance as needed.

Sounds good, I had Mangroves for a few years. Just make sure that the roots don't find a way into the edges of your tank and cause a leak.

Back
Top Bottom