Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If I were to purchase a 150 gal tank, how many pounds of live rock would I need?

Also, what type of flooring and how deep would it need to be?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxkylexX
Would a FLOWR aquarium with coral be considered a reef tank? I know adding coral changes the lighting a bit, and certain lighting conditions can be expensive it looks like.
Kyle, you are going find it is all expensive. I went with a 180g FO. I have standard fluorescent lighting and some cool fish. Naso Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Green Wolf Eel, Blue Face Angel (on order), a couple of Sharpnosed Puffers. I've attached a pic of my setup. Like I said, no live corals at all.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Search CL for tons of deals,you may have to drive to get it ,but its worth it..definitely go as big as possible ..Then you can start looking at triggers ,angels,tangs and puffers..

Can't wait to see the blueface sean..Not wanting to derail here ,but how hard is it to keep your fake stuff clean(may get some)?I mean do you take it out a few times a month or no...
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
Search CL for tons of deals,you may have to drive to get it ,but its worth it..definitely go as big as possible ..Then you can start looking at triggers ,angels,tangs and puffers..

Can't wait to see the blueface sean..Not wanting to derail here ,but how hard is it to keep your fake stuff clean(may get some)?I mean do you take it out a few times a month or no...
FTM, actually 75 percent of that coral is real (dead). I had some when I had tanks years ago and my lfs took some in from customers that did away with their tanks. I don't actually clean the coral off. The two tangs and Flame Angel keep on top of it. Also, the tank is in an area of my family room that is out of direct sunlight, so algae is pretty light.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxkylexX

So basically a Torpedo Shark can be in saltwater? What would I have to do in order to accomplish that exactly? Wouldn't the shark eventually kill the other fish in the tank, or the other way around maybe?
Yes it can be in SW. You need to get a bucket with FW and get airline tubing then start a siphon by inserting one end into your SW tank then sucking on the tube. Water will flow from the tank to the bucket and you need to stop the flow by pinching the tube. Tie it in a knot and stop pinching. Make the knot tighter until the water drips 2-4 drops every second. Leave the bucket for 3 hours then add to your tank. He won't harm anything that can't fit in his mouth so same sized fish are compatible

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com