Starting a new aquarium (Noob here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxkylexX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am extremely interested in starting a saltwater aquarium, but am new to the game.

I am wondering if anyone on this forum knows any really nice/affordable setups for beginners like myself? I've not even purchased an aquarium yet, and am looking to get a 75-100 gallon tank (maybe more for the right price).

Having some issues tryin to find the tank for me online, and I know pet stores really jack prices up on tanks.

To start, what type of livestock do you want? You need to think about the fish you want, check out live aquaria.com to see tank requirements and go from there. Your statement about lfs's jacking up prices isn't entirely correct. I went to a mom and pop lfs (not a chain) and purchased my entire setup for about half the cost I was finding online.

Once you decide what you want (reef, FO, FOWLR) there are plenty of knowledgable people here that would be happy to help you out.

Good luck and welcome to the forum (and hobby).

Hi Sean, and thanks!

I am interested in a FOWLR setup for sure. As for livestock, I am interested in Blue Torpedo Sharks, but they seem too aggressive and that really limits what can share the aquarium with them.

With that said, my son loves Nemo, and I could see myself starting out an aquarium maybe with sea anemone and a clown fish or two and maybe just stock the aquarium with fish that are compatible.

I read also that having a cleaning crew for your aquarium is ideal. So maybe a crab, shrimp, snail and things like that.

With that information, how big, gallon wise, would be a good setup for either environment be?

Blue torpedo sharks are FW. If you want a FOWLR, look into a 125g. You can get the larger, prettier fish.

I was curious about the Blue Torpedo Sharks. People online saying they were freshwater, saltwater or both even. With that said, is there a shark one could buy for an aquarium under 150 gallons that won't destroy the other fish and doesn't get too big?

XxkylexX said:
I was curious about the Blue Torpedo Sharks. People online saying they were freshwater, saltwater or both even. With that said, is there a shark one could buy for an aquarium under 150 gallons that won't destroy the other fish and doesn't get too big?

Unfortunately not....There may be one that you can have in a 220g which is a Coral cat shark but the tank would need to be upgraded within 2 years.

Ibrahim said:
Unfortunately not....There may be one that you can have in a 220g which is a Coral cat shark but the tank would need to be upgraded within 2 years.

Well then I guess sharks are out of the question because there's no way I can fit a 220 gallon tank in my house currently. I can maybe go 125-150, but that's tops at the moment.

XxkylexX said:
Well then I guess sharks are out of the question because there's no way I can fit a 220 gallon tank in my house currently. I can maybe go 125-150, but that's tops at the moment.

Get a 150g then. You can get some beautiful Angelfish, triggers, tangs, and since the torpedo shark is Brackish water you can acclimate him to full SW

Would a FLOWR aquarium with coral be considered a reef tank? I know adding coral changes the lighting a bit, and certain lighting conditions can be expensive it looks like.

Ibrahim said:
Get a 150g then. You can get some beautiful Angelfish, triggers, tangs, and since the torpedo shark is Brackish water you can acclimate him to full SW

So basically a Torpedo Shark can be in saltwater? What would I have to do in order to accomplish that exactly? Wouldn't the shark eventually kill the other fish in the tank, or the other way around maybe?

If I were to purchase a 150 gal tank, how many pounds of live rock would I need?

Also, what type of flooring and how deep would it need to be?

XxkylexX said:
Would a FLOWR aquarium with coral be considered a reef tank? I know adding coral changes the lighting a bit, and certain lighting conditions can be expensive it looks like.

Kyle, you are going find it is all expensive. I went with a 180g FO. I have standard fluorescent lighting and some cool fish. Naso Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Green Wolf Eel, Blue Face Angel (on order), a couple of Sharpnosed Puffers. I've attached a pic of my setup. Like I said, no live corals at all.

Search CL for tons of deals,you may have to drive to get it ,but its worth it..definitely go as big as possible ..Then you can start looking at triggers ,angels,tangs and puffers..

Can't wait to see the blueface sean..Not wanting to derail here ,but how hard is it to keep your fake stuff clean(may get some)?I mean do you take it out a few times a month or no...

FTMMWS said:
Search CL for tons of deals,you may have to drive to get it ,but its worth it..definitely go as big as possible ..Then you can start looking at triggers ,angels,tangs and puffers..

Can't wait to see the blueface sean..Not wanting to derail here ,but how hard is it to keep your fake stuff clean(may get some)?I mean do you take it out a few times a month or no...

FTM, actually 75 percent of that coral is real (dead). I had some when I had tanks years ago and my lfs took some in from customers that did away with their tanks. I don't actually clean the coral off. The two tangs and Flame Angel keep on top of it. Also, the tank is in an area of my family room that is out of direct sunlight, so algae is pretty light.

XxkylexX said:
So basically a Torpedo Shark can be in saltwater? What would I have to do in order to accomplish that exactly? Wouldn't the shark eventually kill the other fish in the tank, or the other way around maybe?

Yes it can be in SW. You need to get a bucket with FW and get airline tubing then start a siphon by inserting one end into your SW tank then sucking on the tube. Water will flow from the tank to the bucket and you need to stop the flow by pinching the tube. Tie it in a knot and stop pinching. Make the knot tighter until the water drips 2-4 drops every second. Leave the bucket for 3 hours then add to your tank. He won't harm anything that can't fit in his mouth so same sized fish are compatible

Back
Top Bottom