starting a new saltwater fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan321

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I've been doing a freshwater fish tank for a while now and wanted to start a saltwater fish tank. It would be a FOWLR, but someday I'd like to turn it into a reef.:D I have a 33 long tank and I wanted to make a 10 gallon sump for under my aquarium. I have been doing a lot of information on it... enough for my parents to think i'm crazy. I know most of the basics and I have been wanting to ask some questions. What salt should I use? How much rock would be enough? Should I use a Sump? If I am good to use a sump is 10 gallons okay? How much should plexiglass cost for it? Is there anything else you could tell me about using a sump or making it? What type of sand is recommended? What lighting should I get? If theres any other thing you would like to add please go ahead. I am willing to wait as long as I need to set it up.

Also, I have an emporer 400 on my filter and was hoping to put that on the sump

which salt you use is completely up to you, as for rock 1-1.5lbs is a good estimate.

having a sump is always a benefit, and 10G is fine. for partitions there are many creative options, ill let someone else tell you that since im not experienced with them at all.

aragonite sand is a good sand because it does help buffer your pH, just dont get "live" sand, its not worth the extra money.

for lighting it depends on if you want to just have some so-so lighting now, and upgrade later, or bite the bullet and buy now, T5s are good for a tank your size, what are the dimensions?

and the emperor filter shouldnt be needed if youre going the sump route

Which salt to use is one of those questions that if you asked 10 different people you would get 11 different answers. Find out what`s readily available at your LFS and try one and see. If you do a search here you will find many Salt threads that tell you who uses what and why. There is no best salt mix out there or we would all be using it. They all have their pros and cons.
As far as the rock I think the above thread gave you a good estimate. Sumps are always a good idea as added water volume is a plus. Aragonite sand is preferred and for a FOWLR tank any lighting will do. When you go reef you`ll need to check out some VHO or T5HO lighting.

Thanks for the Info it is greatly appreciated.. But how do I start to make a sump? I have heard of bubble traps before. What type of sump pump would be good and how much r they? Any info would be great.

theres a basic sump setup drawing in my profile also melsreef has some good sumps or make one yourself using an old 10g tank

David S said:
theres a basic sump setup drawing in my profile also melsreef has some good sumps or make one yourself using an old 10g tank

Thanks I'll look

Back
Top Bottom