Starting a tank with a DSB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im starting a 40 gallon FOWLR tank and I'm using 40lbs of plain old sand, and 60lbs of Live Sand to give me a 4.5" sand bed.

My question - do I mix all of the sand up, or do I put the plain sand down first, and then put all of the Live Sand on top of it?

Does it need to be mixed up from time to time? I won't have any critters in there for some time as the tank cycles.

thanks,
Todd

Define "should have" . . .

Meaning it should already be in the bag, or I need to buy them?

I can't really buy anything until the tank cycles. I'm cycling with shrimp, which reminds me I need to start another post about that . . .

Thanks,
Todd

I am thinking as well as Bearfan probably was, that your live sand was gonna be the real, live, overnight shipped, unbagged stuff.

Are you talking about using the prebagged stuff? That's a whole different story and you won't have the critters like you will with "real" LS.

If you have already bought the bagged LS, put it on top. If not, get some real LS that has the critters in it. You can get a cup of sand from any established reef tank and use it to seed your sand culture. Actually, you should get sand from several different tanks to increase the bio diversity in your tank.

I would also recommend a detrivore kit from www.inlandaquatics.com or www.ipsf.com after the tank cycles to ensure you start off with plenty of critters. I would then give them some time to multiply before adding fish so you have a good strong reproducing population working the sandbed.

snapcrackler said:
I am thinking as well as Bearfan probably was, that your live sand was gonna be the real, live, overnight shipped, unbagged stuff.

Are you talking about using the prebagged stuff? That's a whole different story and you won't have the critters like you will with "real" LS.

Yep, it's the bagged stuff and it's already been purchased.

Oh well, I might be able to get a cup or two from some established tanks, but probably not.

Once the tank cycles, and I hear I should add some critters. Should I wait for the tank to start to get dirty before adding them?

I want to do a claw-less tank. What are some recommendations for inverts to get. I'm all set on the different types of snails, but I'm worried about getting searpant or brittle stars . . . aren't they really sensitive to salinity pH and temperature??

Just not sure that a just-cycled tank is the right environment for these guys!

Todd.

Marine Aquarium Society of Virginia
2812 Deford Court, Chester, VA 23831, Joyce Wilkerson, 804-748-0427

Might be worth your while to join. You could potentially have access to sand, coral frags, and even better other people that share your interests! Joyce is a successful fish breeder (her book on Clownfishes for example) and I bet the club is top notch.

There is also a Central Virginia regional forum here at AA.

I would add the critters right after the cycle is completed, but as you thought already would wait for the system to be stable to add starfish.

Thanks, Hoops! Really appreciate it!

Actually, you were the one that got me in the line-of-thought to have a claw-less tank. What do you use for a clean-up crew while avoiding hermits and the like?

Thanks again!

Todd

I use a mixture of snails mostly.....a few turbos, astrae, strombus, trochus, and nassarius. I then have a serpent star as well. I get a new species whenever possible, as the LFS usually carries one or two particular ones in a cycle around here.

Back
Top Bottom